2003 Advance 257 Questions

Bfrench7

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2003 Advance 257 in great shape. :dance

The transducer for the Sounder was installed on the port side of the single outboard.

As a result, I think the prop wash really screwed up the readings.

Anyone have any pictures or advice on the best location for the transducer on this hull?

I am particularly interested in reading bottom while underway between 25-30 knots.

Lastly, the Trim indicator on the Yamaha gauge shows full tilt at all times.

The trim sending unit at the transom is a little sticky but seems to rotate and spring back ok after a little attention. However, the reading does not seem to change.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• F4FF3DAD-CFAF-4955-9E00-F17F46B46125.jpeg
    F4FF3DAD-CFAF-4955-9E00-F17F46B46125.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 132

seasick

Reaction score
Bfrench7 said:
Recently acquired a 2003 Advance 257 in great shape. :dance

The transducer for the Sounder was installed on the port side of the single outboard.

As a result, I think the prop wash really screwed up the readings.

Anyone have any pictures or advice on the best location for the transducer on this hull?

I am particularly interested in reading bottom while underway between 25-30 knots.

Lastly, the Trim indicator on the Yamaha gauge shows full tilt at all times.

The trim sending unit at the transom is a little sticky but seems to rotate and spring back ok after a little attention. However, the reading does not seem to change.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

I assume it is a transom mounted transducer. If so just go to the web site for the sounder manufacturer and look for installation instructions for transducers. It should work on either side of the outboard as long as it is at least 9 inches or so away from the prop, mounted in a spot that doesn't get turbulence from hull mounted things like scoops, chines, tabs etc.

For most transducers, the bottom edge should be even to a bit below the bottom surface of the hull in line with the transducer. The angle of the transducer is somewhat critical. Start with it straight in line with the hull and if needed tilt the back of it up a click or two if it looses bottom. You want the bottom of the transducer to be parallel to the sea floor when the boat is at its normal trim angle.
Also make sure the bottom surface of the transducer is clear of growth like barnacles.

The tllt sender has two parts. The one you make move and the can that it rubs against. The cam is on the bracket shaft. If you move the trim sensor lever and the gauge does not change, you may have a bad sender, bad wiring, or gauge (not that common) You need to resolve that first. The sensor can be tested with an ohmmeter but getting to the wires can be a pain.

If the display changes when you move the lever, you need to check the cam to see if it has rotated on it's shaft. By the way, you may need a second person to watch the display while you move the level.