2003 - F225 low pressure pumps

eppem

Reaction score
My 03 GW 265 is powered with twin F225 yammies - hit 1,440 hours this spring on a local fluke trip and had some stalling issues with my starboard engine - weird? I had just changed the filters and have never had a water issue with these tanks - popped the filters anyways and confirmed - no water, primer bulbs were changed in spring also.

Anywho, chatted with my yammy friends at ASMW in Rowayton / Westport and was told it was probably the low pressure pumps about to give out. I have plans to head to points east and certainly offshore if weather allows so decided to replace both pumps. Bottom line, anyone on the forum who is remotely handy can swap these out. I found a step by step tutorial online and showed it to the guys who do this for a living - they said the directions were spot on and that I could easily do the replacement myself. Bought the parts from them and left a little extra for their coffee fund. While I had the engine apart I also replaced the primary fuel filter which is a PITA to access normally. Entire repair required a socket (metric) set, a ziptie and a needlnose plyers, and two cold beers - that's it! I am not ready for Yamaha school and certainly don't think I could handle the high pressure pumps myself but both replaced and engines running great! I was told these original pumps lasted a very long time, generally they give out between 800 -1,000 hours, some sooner / some later with or without any warning. I brought them back so they could bench test and one was basically just about to die and the other was pretty weak. If you are thinking about doing this yourself ping me with any questions and I can forward the link to the tutorial too. If you have an older F250 its the same part and I was told its even easier to access and replace.

Catch em up!

EPPE

seasick

Reaction score
Confused..
Was it low or high pressure pumps? Lows don't last that long.
If high, I am also interested how a bench test was done.
A fuel rail pressure test probably would have diagnosed a problem.
Stalling at low speed is often a clue to a bad low pressure pump and sometimes pumping the primer bulb will make the engine run better. If so, for sure one or more of the LPs are bad

eppem

Reaction score
Title of post - low pressure pumps and mine last 1,440 hours.

seasick

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the 'F' part of the motor model. I was thinking about the vacuum driven 2 stroke low pressure pumps and not what I call the lift pumps

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
did you do the repair in the water or did you have to pull her? My engine hours are similar to yours, no problems yet but something to think about for the future.

eppem

Reaction score
Seasick - no worries!

Doc - Was able to do in the water - like anything else, I am sure it would be easier on land but I got er done. Only donated one bolt (@#$%) to Davey Jones locker. Did one solo and had a buddy help with the other which was basically handing me stuff but moving the wheel back and forth so I can access stuff on both sides.

JoleGW33

Reaction score
eppem said:
Seasick - no worries!

Doc - Was able to do in the water - like anything else, I am sure it would be easier on land but I got er done. Only donated one bolt (@#$%) to Davey Jones locker. Did one solo and had a buddy help with the other which was basically handing me stuff but moving the wheel back and forth so I can access stuff on both sides.

replaced both of mine at almost 700hrs, did you replace with OEM pumps?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
EPPE

I have twin F225 2002 vintage - just passed 1,000 hours. I got the boat with 450 hours and I don't believe my pumps have been changed out. Always looking for valid PM projects and this looks like one I should do. Please forward the link to the tutorial & the part number of the pumps, if you have it. Thanks

eppem

Reaction score
Sorry for delayed response, been away for work...

Original Yamaha parts bought thru All Seasons Marine in Westport / Rowayton. Not sure of the part # but here is the tutorial and you can probably find the part number within this website too.

Super ez for anyone partially handy. I am nowhere near a marine mechanic but comfortable with basic yammy engine stuff.

http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1990.htm

I replaced the primary fuel filters too...

JoleGW33

Reaction score
jip40 said:
EPPE

I have twin F225 2002 vintage - just passed 1,000 hours. I got the boat with 450 hours and I don't believe my pumps have been changed out. Always looking for valid PM projects and this looks like one I should do. Please forward the link to the tutorial & the part number of the pumps, if you have it. Thanks

Easy to do, but they are expensive, at about $400-$500 each pump.

Part# 69J-24410-02-00

Tutorial link as above: http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1990.htm

JoleGW33

Reaction score
jip40 said:
"Easy to do, but they are expensive, at about $400-$500 each pump.

Part# 69J-24410-02-00

Tutorial link as above: http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1990.htm"

Jole

Thanks for the info. The aftermarket pumps are 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the OEM - does anyone have experience with any of the aftermarket pumps?

I replaced my original (faulty) ones with aftermarket and ONE went bad after a couple of outings, but at the time I was battling an issue that ended being water in the fuel tanks so my experience may not be conclusive. So replaced for the second time on one of the engines with OEM yamaha pump.

As of right now I have; one NEW oem pump and one NEW aftermarket pump, both have been working great since I dealt with the water in the tanks.