112 KB · Views: 47
  • Resized_20210710_125530.jpeg
    Resized_20210710_125530.jpeg
    839.5 KB · Views: 47

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good day everyone! I recently repowered my 2003 Grady Express 33 from a pair of DF300s to the new Suzuki 350 duoprop and the performance is great so far.

Hi,
Can you provide what props you were running on your DF300's? I'm ordering a pair of DF300AB's for my 2004 330, there is not much info out there for Suzuki's on 330 Expresses. I have no idea where to start on prop size.
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The first picture shows things being "chunkier" than I'd normally like to see. The second pic is too blury. But this is the first gear oil change, right? It could just be due to breaking in. As you noted above, for now, just keep an eye on it - maybe change the gear oil after another 20 to 40 hours and see if there's a change.

Getting into gear quickly is important - but you're not in control of it with electronic shifting. Try listening to the "clunk" and compare one side to another. It should be a quick/firm clunk with no grinding sounds.

Reactions: PointedRose

scott furman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Dennis. Just pulled the boat for the season. Next week i will change the gearcase oil, lower units' oil and inspect carefully. Let's hope that the flakes and shavings are much reduced! Otherwise, time to look at the gears for wear.

ogoz23

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good day everyone! I recently repowered my 2003 Grady Express 33 from a pair of DF300s to the new Suzuki 350 duoprop and the performance is great so far. I run them around 4,300 - 4,350 RPM at about 34 MPH burning around 26 GPH (1.3 MPG). A question I have is the boatyard put the engines on near the top of the bolt pattern (high) reasoning that the duoprop would be fine because of the additional bite and the reduced drag would be advantageous. The problem is, if I trim them up, cavitation occurs, so basically you can't trim the motors up to adjust the trim of the boat. I know they need to come down, just wondering if anyone else has installed these on an Express 33. My DF300s were all the way down on the transom and gave lots of trim options. Anyone with this boat knows they can bow steer if not trimmed out properly, which this boat is doing a bit of right now. Generally, love the new engines though...

Thanks!
Hi!! What size props are you using on the Suzukis 350’s. I just got mine.

Mindskew

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I repowered with suzuki 300’s on my 285 sailfish and placed the cavitation plate in the same horizontal plane as the bottom of the boat. No cavitation unless trimmed way up. I used a straight edge off the hull and that is how I decided which holes.

Reactions: Kizuna

seasick

Reaction score
I repowered with suzuki 300’s on my 285 sailfish and placed the cavitation plate in the same horizontal plane as the bottom of the boat. No cavitation unless trimmed way up. I used a straight edge off the hull and that is how I decided which holes.
The symptom you mention to be accurate is blowout and not cavitation.
To be really picky, the cavitation plate you refer to is called the anti-ventilation plate:)
OK....chime in!

Reactions: Byram

pjin064

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good day everyone! I recently repowered my 2003 Grady Express 33 from a pair of DF300s to the new Suzuki 350 duoprop and the performance is great so far. I run them around 4,300 - 4,350 RPM at about 34 MPH burning around 26 GPH (1.3 MPG). A question I have is the boatyard put the engines on near the top of the bolt pattern (high) reasoning that the duoprop would be fine because of the additional bite and the reduced drag would be advantageous. The problem is, if I trim them up, cavitation occurs, so basically you can't trim the motors up to adjust the trim of the boat. I know they need to come down, just wondering if anyone else has installed these on an Express 33. My DF300s were all the way down on the transom and gave lots of trim options. Anyone with this boat knows they can bow steer if not trimmed out properly, which this boat is doing a bit of right now. Generally, love the new engines though...

Thanks!
Hello, I am doing the same repower with my 08 330, with suzuki DF350 duoprop. What prop size did you use? Thank you very much. Ping

HMBJack

Reaction score
I agree with the above comment. Those LU shavings look excessive. I would save and document that in the event a warranty claim comes up.

And I guess you are comfortable exceeding the rated HP maximum for your hull. I bet you now have a race car there compared to your previous engines. I piloted a friend's 330 with twin Yamaha 350's and was amazed at the difference compared to my 330 with F250's.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
...... Once observation is that in bumpy waters, I have observed at least one of the engines cavitate briefly, then retain traction and the rpms will come back down to the throttle position. Unsure as to why this is happening. ....

I have this happen on my 330 with 225 yamahas. The starboard motor loses bite under certain conditions while the port never does. My boat lists a bit because I removed my generator and on plane I have to drop the starboard tab to get it to ride level.

I believe the tab being deployed is causing some kind of turbulence causing the prop next to it to lose it's bite. I never dove into the problem as I knew I was repowering which is happening as we speak. new engines will have 4 blade props so I hope they won't lose the bite so easy. If it comes to it, I'll move 2 of the batteries or doe something else to "naturally" shift the weight

sushyhunter

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Thanks!
Hi do you remenber the pitch of the prop