2003 Gulfstream live well hoses/fittings

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
On my Gulfstream, the livewell is under the passenger helm seat, and the thru-hulls are next to it on the port side. This started with me opening up that little 6" inspection hatch thinking, "I wonder how those thru-hulls look?" Yeah. The lower one was completed covered in corrosion and salt crystals - and is below the waterline. So the first thing was to replace that TH, which I had done on the trailer by a professional. However, since the we were at the ramp, I just had him cap that TH rather than attempting to reattach the hose to the livewell drain.
Now, as I look to finish those connections the 19-year-old hoses are obviously cracked and not to be relied upon. My problem is that the drain hose is under the livewell, where I can't see it. It seems to connect to an elbow that is "loosely" connected to the drain inside the livewell - I can atually turn the elbow easily with the hose. I can't believe that it's intended to be loose, so somehow the actual drain has been loosened from the elbow below. Am I supposed to be able to unscrew that drain from the inside and pull the elbow out from below? It looks to be about a 1" OD drain from what I can tell. Does anyone have any experience with repairing this setup? I looked through several threads but didn't find this exact situation discussed that I could tell.

BTW, in the discussions about how the livewells keep filling up, I removed every connectoin to my livewell except the feed from the bait pump - and it still filled up. So it's definitely coming from the bait pump pickup. Unfortunately, in my case, it keeps doing it even when the seacock is closed - so obviously my seacock is malfunctioning in some way.

Thanks!
Ron

Last edited:

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Good luck getting to those. I have an explorer. Same basic set up. My arms are still cut and bruised from replacing them 2 weeks ago. The drain fittings were installed before the cap was installed on the hull. There is no way to get to the nuts that secure the fittings. I ended up using a different style drain. It has nuts on both sides of the fitting so it can be installed from the bottom and tightened from the top.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Based upon this thread I will now have to check on my 2004 Gulfstream, it has been in fresh water so maybe less corrosion.

Reactions: Pfu