2003 Marlin 30

Graybeard

Reaction score
We have a Freedom 225 in the driveway, but in December Glam-Ma (wife) told our grand daughter we would have a boat big enough to sleep on by summer. That’s so they can spend the weekends at the marina to use the pool. She wanted an Express 33 because of the big cabin, but we couldn’t find a good one at the price point we were shopping. Plus I really couldn’t get out to the bow without the fear of taking a swim. So I started looking for Marlin 30’s. I spent over $1k on surveys before I found one without delaminated hulls. Apparently wide beam Grady’s have a big problem with hull delamination. The surveyor said it was a common problem with wide beam Grady’s he has surveyed. So did the repair shop where I was sent to get a repair estimate for a 2000 Marlin 30. But I eventually found a “dry” Marlin 30 and took delivery on Friday April 6, 2018. Had to take it 45 miles down the Chesapeake Bay, in a Small Craft Advisory, from the marina where I bought it to the marina where I’m keeping it. But it safe in its new slip and now I have to work on backing into the slip and getting out in style

Fishtales

Reaction score
you'll do fine, just go slow. Learn to maneuver the boat with the binnacles only. You can spin it pretty easy. I think you'll like the ride in rough seas as it rides like a much larger boat.

Capt_Brian

Reaction score
Grey beard I think I’ve been following your story on Facebook after a few practice tries getting in the slip will be a breeze. Can’t say enough great things about the marlin

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good luck with her and enjoy! As far as slipping goes, practice, practice and more practice. And even then, sometimes conditions will be testy even getting OFF the dock!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your new to you boat! Like others have said, practice and time will make you a better captain.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Boat slip setups and docks can vary a lot. Depending on how your dock is orientated will determine the best way to dock. Even in similar slips, different people may have different methods of docking. figure out what works best for you, then as others said practice. In my situation I put a large ball on the end of the finger, and can pivot off of it as needed. I also leave the lines pre-tied on the dock so I can grab them when coming in. Once I get the spring line on, my momentum will usually pull me right along side the dock. I run my boat single handed a lot and this works well for me.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We’ve been in our marina for eighteen years. When I radio that I’m in the entrance channel, they scramble to move the expensive boats out of the way. So either you get used to your slip, or they get used to you :D

Rob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Graybeard:

It takes too much time and would to laborious to read if I went into real detail on sterning into a slip.

Figure out which engines do what by practicing somewhere OTHER than your slip. Get away from onlookers, over-zealous dockhands shouting advice and just figure it out. Maybe get a couple empty gallon jugs, some line and sandbags. Anchor the jugs in your bay area about the same width apart as your striker poles in your slip and practice sterning in between them.

Lastly, resist the temptation to start turning the wheel in close quarters. Your much better off centering the helm, trimming the engines up some and JUST using the throttles.

Fishtales

Reaction score
When I moved up, I practiced in and out 20X on a Sat and Sunday when the marina was quiet. Did the same thing on a busy weekend (folks were around and on their boats) and folks knew what I was doing. I had all the help I needed if things got dicey. The biggest thing is confidence. You have to do it enough so you don't have white knuckles coming in.