2003 marlin repower

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
morning Guys anyone repower with Honda twin 250s on 300 marlin? If so what is gph at cruise. have 2 Honda dealers near me I can run boat to for repairs.
have one Suzuki dealer near me but have bad rep.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Honestly, I’d quote Honda and Yamaha and go with the best price. Hopefully there will be a decent spread.

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Honestly, I’d quote Honda and Yamaha and go with the best price. Hopefully there will be a decent spread.
Honda quote for 58,000 fly by wire.
remove old motors install new.
5 yr. warranty
Yamaha 60,000 for just motors mechanical use old rigging.
remove old install new and tax and props not included.
3yr warranty
looks like Honda wins.
I am hoping someone has the Honda 250s that can give me some performance numbers.
Thanks for your input.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't recall anyone on here repowering a Marlin with twin Honda 250's. However, performance will likely be very similar to the older 3.3 f250's. Email Grady and they will be able to send you a performance report with f250's.

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can't recall anyone on here repowering a Marlin with twin Honda 250's. However, performance will likely be very similar to the older 3.3 f250's. Email Grady and they will be able to send you a performance report with f250's.
Thanks will do .

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is a member on here that sold his Marlin with new 250’s Honda. His user name is Shamblesumd.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d pull the trigger on the Hondas.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ever look at Suzuki? They make two different versions, the DF250T as well as the DF250AP, of which the DF250T is about 20 lbs lighter per motor than the Honda. The DF250AP's are slightly heavier by about 15 lbs a piece, but either version come with a 5 year warranty and are typically quite a bit cheaper than both Honda and Yamaha.

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ever look at Suzuki? They make two different versions, the DF250T as well as the DF250AP, of which the DF250T is about 20 lbs lighter per motor than the Honda. The DF250AP's are slightly heavier by about 15 lbs a piece, but either version come with a 5 year warranty and are typically quite a bit cheaper than both Honda and Yamaha.

Ya have price 60,000 fly by wire only thing 1 dealer close to me but bad rep. also I do not have trailer to get there.
Honda dealer near me has lift so run boat to him for install and service. I also have Honda repair place near me also with lift.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ya have price 60,000 fly by wire only thing 1 dealer close to me but bad rep. also I do not have trailer to get there.
Honda dealer near me has lift so run boat to him for install and service. I also have Honda repair place near me also with lift.
Fair enough... I'm shocked that the Suzuki's are more expensive than the Honda's and almost the same price as the Yamaha's as they're more often than not cheaper than both.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would go for the Hondas also, especially given your dealer situation. The Coast Guard had good luck with them.

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fair enough... I'm shocked that the Suzuki's are more expensive than the Honda's and almost the same price as the Yamaha's as they're more often than not cheaper than both.
Ya I was shocked too Suzuki dealer is also Honda dealer he told me Honda's were 4gs more.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Once you have fly by wire you will never want to go back to cables. There is no dead spot in fly by wire, it's super responsive.

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Once you have fly by wire you will never want to go back to cables. There is no dead spot in fly by wire, it's super responsive.
that's what I heard from guys that have it.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ya I was shocked too Suzuki dealer is also Honda dealer he told me Honda's were 4gs more.
Where are you located?
Shopping for DF200's in my neck of the woods proved that there were only a couple dealers that are really interested in repowers. The ones that weren't were easy to spot because their quotes were more in line with Merc or Yamaha. Looks like the dealer you priced for Zukes didn't really want to sell them based on the quote provided.
I think the new Hondas will be fantastic for your boat, but the price seems high depending on your location. I have seen a couple guys on THT get mechanical 250 Hondas/Tohatsu's for mid $30's OTD. At $58k that's a big up charge for electronic controls. However if you are in the Northeast or California, I'd say it's par for the course.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Where are you located?
Shopping for DF200's in my neck of the woods proved that there were only a couple dealers that are really interested in repowers. The ones that weren't were easy to spot because their quotes were more in line with Merc or Yamaha. Looks like the dealer you priced for Zukes didn't really want to sell them based on the quote provided.
I think the new Hondas will be fantastic for your boat, but the price seems high depending on your location. I have seen a couple guys on THT get mechanical 250 Hondas/Tohatsu's for mid $30's OTD. At $58k that's a big up charge for electronic controls. However if you are in the Northeast or California, I'd say it's par for the course.EAs

Where are you located?
I think the new Hondas will be fantastic for your boat, but the price seems high depending on your location. I have seen a couple guys on THT get mechanical 250 Hondas/Tohatsu's for mid $30's OTD. At $58k that's a big up charge for electronic controls. However if you are in the Northeast or California, I'd say it's par for the course.
east coast Mass. everything up here is insane more .I know some guys up here run there boats south and got 6 to 8gs less in price.
I just don't have the time or trailer, for that. I can get mechanical for 49gs but that's with2 yr warranty commercial.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Where are you located?
That's exactly why I bought my boat back on the east coast in Maryland because the prices out there are about half of what boats sell for out here in the Seattle area. I bought my boat for $26.5k yet I've seen two almost identical boats to mine sell out here on the local Craigslist for $55k and one last summer even sold with a listed price of $65k. I'm a pretty frugal person in general, and especially when it comes to boats or fishing as I want to get the best deal possible. If I have to spend $1k on a flight, hotel, rental car and food as well as $4k or so to trailer the boat back across the country, that's money ahead when I've still saved over half of what a very similar boat sells for out here. Imo, it always pays off to shop around, especially with some dealers as they seem a bit more motivated to sell their inventory and make it worth the customer's while.

Reactions: family affair