2004 282 gas caps to main and aux tank location

KLH

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello,

I recently purchased an 04 282. I’m getting conflicting info on which gas cap goes with which tank. The labels are gone . The Dry stack guy says one thing based on other Gradys he says are on site and I have gotten conflicting info from Grady.
Any info from something owns one would be helpful.

thanks much!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
In both of my Gradys the forward fuel will was for the main tank while the rear fuel fill was for the Aux. Tank.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine is reverse on my 2004 228 Seafarer, front is auxiliary, rear is main.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have two tanks, BUT... while filling a particular tank, open the deck access plate and look/feel the tank... I bet you can tell if the fuel is splashing in there. Or, put a long handled screwdriver onto the tank and the handle end to your ear (even a wood dowel can work). Makes a pretty decent, poor man's mechanics stethoscope when in a bind. If for some reason this doesn't work, unscrew the sending unit part way and listen.

Greyduk

Reaction score
On my GW 248 the foward fuel fill is the aux tank and the rear is the main tank.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Those with two tanks... curious... is the main tank always the forward tank? Wondering if the forward fuel fill is always connected to the forward tank.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's mine. Forward tank, forward fill, auxiliary tank. Rear tank, rear fill, main tank.
20190929_101309.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems there are many different configurations, depending on model and year.

My 87 228G has main tank up front, and aux was in the rear as an option.

Exact opposite of Ky's.

Why not reach out to Grady and ask them with your year/hull KLH? They are superb with customer service.

Reactions: HTHM

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So... am I understanding correctly (based on what's in this thread so far) that regardless of which tank is forward (whether main or aux), that the forward fill is connected to the forward tank? I mean, that would make sense... but I don't want to assume. It would be kind of riduculous to build the boat and NOT do it that way.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dennis,

I believe that is correct. The fill/vent lines are plumed closest to their corresponding tanks. Grady would not have the lines crossing over each other. There just isn't enough space, and fill lines are not cheap as you know.

The trick is figuring out the locations of main vs. auxiliary for fuel fill.

Surprised at Ky's set up verses mine. I much prefer the weight of the main tank toward my bow-up front.

I would be curious why Grady changed the main/aux tanks positions on the popular 228 series over the years.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
In looking at Kys picture it would make sense to have the smaller aux tank forward and the larger main tank in the rear. The space is smaller under the helm area, so it would make sense to squeeze he aux. tank there and use the larger cavity to the rear for the larger main tank. In the larger wider beam models they can probably fit the larger main tank forward of the smaller aux tank. Just a thought.

My owners manual also has the tank size and layout including fuel fills listed. As well as a well as a nice diagram of the fuel system.

Reactions: leeccoll

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is a copy of my 04 282 layout. The main tank and fill are forward

Attachments

• 1576073782120.png
    1576073782120.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 30