2004 282 Sailfish Guest Battery Charger Question

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This has been a tough week with electrical issues - first the frig wiring and now the battery charger. Joys of boat ownership.
15 years of use and guest charger stopped charging on one of two banks - checked in-line fuses, swapped the charger cable from one bank to the other bank and no luck, only two of 4 lights on the charger are working. working bank has 13.7 volts, second bank is delivering 11.5 volts
The charger is in a very tough spot under the stern seat and almost impossible to get to. A couple of questions - most of the new units I have seen need to be plugged into a GFIC outlet. From what I can see, the existing charger appears to have the electrical cable hardwired into it but I not 100% sure Does any one know if it the original charger is actually plugged into an outlet?
IF anyone has replaced theirs how did you access it - remove the stern sink?, remove the battery selector switch panel?
Recommended replacement brand models - current is a 2 banks system with 2 batteries in parallel and one starter battery. Some reviews I have read are not high on Guest chargers.
Thanks in advance

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In regards to your question about plugging in, some models do have a plug (although it can be cut off) - but there are plenty of chargers out there set for hardwire right out of the box. I'm very familiar with this stuff on boats like Sea Ray's, but I couldn't definitively answer your question about it being hardwired or not on your boat. However, I would find it strange if it was plugged into an outlet.

For a replacement, you don't need a waterproof model, fyi. Waterproof is only needed if it's out in the open. For example, ProMariner has a great line of chargers called "ProNautic". They are officially called 'dry mount' - but these are mounted in thousands and thousands of bilges - and in my own bilge of my Sea Ray Sundancer. They are an excellent charger with good customer support.

In the meantime, disconnect the charger line that's not working - you run the risk of it killing your batteries if it decides to go haywire.

Reactions: Legend

Lsquared

Reaction score
same thing happened to mine. It is a 30amp 2 bank charger, with each bank having 15 amps. That mean 1 battery gets 15 amp and the house bank(2 batteries) splits the other 15 amp. doesnt seem efficient for the house bank. I was thinking of replacing it with a promariner 30 amp 3 bank giving each battery its own charger with 10 amps. That mean though 20 amp for the house bank in parallel. not sure if that is an issue so I was going to contact promariner and ask. cost for that is $275

seasick

Reaction score
You say that only 2 of the four lights are working. What lights are on?
On the Guest charger, if the connection from the charger to the battery is open (not connected for whatever reason) the lamp will be green for that bank, the same as if the battery were on trickle charge.
If both lamps on the same bank are out, then the charger is probably bad.

seasick

Reaction score
sorry to hear that. Sounds like a knuckle buster in in your future

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In regards to your question about plugging in, some models do have a plug (although it can be cut off) - but there are plenty of chargers out there set for hardwire right out of the box. I'm very familiar with this stuff on boats like Sea Ray's, but I couldn't definitively answer your question about it being hardwired or not on your boat. However, I would find it strange if it was plugged into an outlet.

For a replacement, you don't need a waterproof model, fyi. Waterproof is only needed if it's out in the open. For example, ProMariner has a great line of chargers called "ProNautic". They are officially called 'dry mount' - but these are mounted in thousands and thousands of bilges - and in my own bilge of my Sea Ray Sundancer. They are an excellent charger with good customer support.

In the meantime, disconnect the charger line that's not working - you run the risk of it killing your batteries if it decides to go haywire.
DenisG01
Given the difficult position of my Charger, is the Pro Mariner/ Nautic a charger that you need access for programming or is just a plug and play type charger?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
DenisG01
Given the difficult position of my Charger, is the Pro Mariner/ Nautic a charger that you need access for programming or is just a plug and play type charger?
Trying to remember... I'm sure there was some type of initial setup that I did (for the battery type charging profile). But after that, I never touched it - even though it was very easy for me in that boat's bilge (I could sit/stand on three sides of the engine!). Although I didn't use it, I believe there is a remote display/control board so you can look at all the pretty lights easier ;) and do setup functions.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
strongly rec pro nautic great device, powerwerks (sp?) make a great mounting bracket that simplifies a very difficult job of mounting the new charger

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Hate to dredge up an old thread, but found that I am having the exact same issue on the same year 282 SF...

What did you learn about the 120 chord? Was it plugged into a GF outlet somewhere? I heard same as you that was they way it should be wired.

Also, what charger did you go with, and how is it working out?

I am planning to relocate the new one and just leave the old one and cut the wires off of it due to the tight access.

This has already cost me at least one battery, it exploded out the top. Of course it is the port one, the hardest to get out!

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I ended up just adding a GFI outlet in the bilge. The Charger is already on a dedicated circuit so it was pretty easy. You can cut the cord but it does state that if you cut cut the cord no warranty. I ended staying with the Guest Charger 2720, It is a two bank charger and it has been working perfectly for 3 years with no issues. Good Luck

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I ended up just adding a GFI outlet in the bilge. The Charger is already on a dedicated circuit so it was pretty easy. You can cut the cord but it does state that if you cut cut the cord no warranty. I ended staying with the Guest Charger 2720, It is a two bank charger and it has been working perfectly for 3 years with no issues. Good Luck
I am going to do that.
For now, I got the old one out and put in a NOCO genius GenPro 10x3, and ran separate leads to each battery. The plug in chord is snaked outside through the under gunnel hole and plugged in to an extension chord. The GF outlet will have to be another day... The original power cable is 3 wire, and goes through the rigging tube to the breakers.
This old fat boy had a helluva time getting the old one out, and mounting the new one in the same spot, but it's done (all but the ziptie work). I have found that the key to bilge work on this Sailfish is extensions, magnetic tips, and patience!
I put in 3 new Group 24 Flooded Dekas from Lowe's, the only ones I could find in stock. Wanted AGMs but cannot find any at local stores. They were $95 with core exchange.
Ziptie work to follow, but here are a few pix that might convey how much the access on this thing sucks! I cannot get my arm back in there and see at the same time, so had to do everything by feel/blind.
I could have removed the sink above, but that disturbs the seal and would still be a blind reach...
20210707_184842.jpg20210707_184825.jpg20210707_184754.jpg20210707_184815.jpg20210707_184701.jpg20210707_184717.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Amazing how tight every project on these boats are!. Hopefully this charger will last at least 17 years like the original Guest did.

Reactions: Zebulon