2004 33' Grady White Express Light Accessories and Navigation 3 questions

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello
(1) I am just beside myself with my cockpit and spreader lights. They were working when I tested them before I moved out of indoor storage. I replaced all four batteries and did a quick test once again My bilge pumps, wiper, bait well, fresh water pump basically everything BUT the cockpit lights and spreader lights work. I have reset the the breakers for the two rocker switches. I have full powers to the rocker panel. I am at a loss. Any ideas here why just those are not functioning?

(2) My next issue is determining the bow navigation lights ATWOOD model. I know they are ATWOOD however I can not find the model anywhere. I need to replace the starboard side looks like the socket has issues. I figure might as well do both and go LED. I looked at the ATWOOD series 3500 and they look to be direct replacements. Can anyone confirm this?

(3) Lastly is my fresh water tank indicator in the head. I filled the tank but the indicator says empty. I am not sure how to test this. Any advice I could get would be helpful. I am sure the sender is in the platform well with the water tank. Is it best to test it there? I do not see the wiring color or diagram in the manual. Can I just jumper th connector and if so, wire color would be nice.

Thanks
Rich

HMBJack

Reaction score
My input to you:

For #1 and #3, purchase a multi meter. Become familiar with how to test voltage on your circuits. As a boat Owner, you'll need to learn this anyway. Only then, can you diagnose what's wrong in your spreader light and FW Tank circuit. For example, if you are SURE you are getting power to the unit, then the unit is likely ready to be replaced.

For #2 - You're on the right track to simply buy a pair of new navigation lights. They will of course match. If one went bad, perhaps the other will go bad soon. And yes, on my 330, I used the Atwood 3500 lights. 2nm. Good luck!

Reactions: RockLobsterBOS

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Agree with HMB...that said, most of the spreader lights I'm familiar with are switched with the courtesy light above the helm. In 2008, I believe the location of the switch for spreader lights changed. If the spreader light switch is in your helm panel, it is possible that it is not factory.

Anytime I"m starting to troubleshoot something, I first look at anything I changed. Especially in the case of it worked prior to my change. :D Is it possible someone wired an extra ground just for the spreader light switch that you missed reconnecting when putting batteries back?

Buy a multi-meter and learn how to use it, it is a vital tool to diagnose where problems are - start with either the issue and work backwards until you find the bad connection/ground/switch. Replace/fix , and move on.

For the nav lights, definitely go LED, but don't be as worried about trying to match perfectly. I replaced the LED nav lights last year with Perko LED Stealth Series, and had to drill one extra hole on each side, but otherwise it was a simple installation. There was enough scope in the factory power leads to connect the new lights. Be sure to use shrink tube fittings.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The advice above is sound. I would look for a missing connection at one of the batteries you replaced. For the fresh water: First, the fresh water pump needs to be turned on for you to read the tank level. Beyond that, are you sure you aren’t loooking at the holding tank level indicator?

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Agree with all comments above - also, verifying that I replaced nav lights with the Atwood 3500 - 2NM.

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
thank you. I am proficient in OHM, Multimeters and Scopes. Thanks for the verification on the Atwood 3500 series.

For the water tank, your comments Fishermanbb may be 100% acurate I am looking at the ananlo
The advice above is sound. I would look for a missing connection at one of the batteries you replaced. For the fresh water: First, the fresh water pump needs to be turned on for you to read the tank level. Beyond that, are you sure you aren’t loooking at the holding tank level indicator?

You may be correct! I am looking at the analog gauge in the head. If that it holding tank them I am unaware of the fresh water indicator location if any.

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Agree with HMB...that said, most of the spreader lights I'm familiar with are switched with the courtesy light above the helm. In 2008, I believe the location of the switch for spreader lights changed. If the spreader light switch is in your helm panel, it is possible that it is not factory.

Anytime I"m starting to troubleshoot something, I first look at anything I changed. Especially in the case of it worked prior to my change. :D Is it possible someone wired an extra ground just for the spreader light switch that you missed reconnecting when putting batteries back?

Buy a multi-meter and learn how to use it, it is a vital tool to diagnose where problems are - start with either the issue and work backwards until you find the bad connection/ground/switch. Replace/fix , and move on.

For the nav lights, definitely go LED, but don't be as worried about trying to match perfectly. I replaced the LED nav lights last year with Perko LED Stealth Series, and had to drill one extra hole on each side, but otherwise it was a simple installation. There was enough scope in the factory power leads to connect the new lights. Be sure to use shrink tube fittings.

the spreader light are factory and the rocker switch is on the main panel at helm. I can trouble shoot these with a multimeter. Based on teh schematics provided by GW in teh owners manual.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Are spreader lights and cockpit lights on the same power circuit, fuse? Start at fuse panel to see if you have power on the fused side (outgoing).
As nothing should have changed before and after battery change make sure ALL leads are connected. My hair didn't turn gray but fell off in searching for a fault which turned out to be a missing ground lead on the battery.
Fresh water pump on to read level. Yes make sure it isn't the black water tank you are reading (mine is newer but it only has lights indicating level on that one)
On nav lights I did a switch on previous boat and screw holes were not quite the same but the old ones were covered and I filled them with caulk to prevent water intrusion. Make sure you get the correct 'mile' rating on the new ones.

H

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I spent the evening on the boat and did not find any miss connected or not connected wires going to the batteries. But some odd things are happening.
The cockpit lights will turn on if I flip the rocker to on and wait between 20 and 30 seconds. Now that is very strange. The spreader lights still do not work. Could it be the rocker switches themselves? I was going to try to move switches around but was not sure how painful that would be. I have 3 days before launch and would like to try to get to the root cause.
So we know we have power up there tot eh rocker switches and we know the cockpit lights will work on delay.
Any more thoughts out there?

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
thank you. I am proficient in OHM, Multimeters and Scopes. Thanks for the verification on the Atwood 3500 series.

For the water tank, your comments Fishermanbb may be 100% acurate I am looking at the ananlo

You may be correct! I am looking at the analog gauge in the head. If that it holding tank them I am unaware of the fresh water indicator location if any.
It is the water tank analog gauge I am looking at. I will replace the sender next fall after haul.
Thanks
IMG_3313.jpg

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For the delay, yes very possible it could be a faulty switch or a loose connection on that specific circuit. I've had a couple of them go bad over the years on various boats.

The switches are pretty standard items and not bad to swap out. You might consider buying a couple spares anyway. Most are single throw but some like navigation are double throw (center off). Seems that they are all double pole to allow for lighting.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
The delay could really mean a bad corroded? connection somewhere and it will not let enough current pass to turn on spreader lights but enough for cockpit after a while.
Try to trace the wires but it could be before or after switch or even at fuse scratch fuse surfaces / turning it etc. Boat has been sitting over winter so some corrosion is possible, not using something for a while is always a bad idea. Same on cars use all switches and functions occasionally to keep them working.

H

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well now this is where stupid comes in. As e all know we can't fix that. the spreader lights are not on the rocker switch panel they are on the dome light. As I was doing my final prep last night I turned on teh dome light and then hit the switch next to it. BAM spreader lights.
Oh man.....
Any way going to get new rocker switch for cockpit lights today.

Thanks to everyone for their replies

• Wow
Reactions: kirk a

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
LOL - BTDT, ruined the T shirt.

It is funny how much better stuff works when you hit the right switch. :D

Glad you solved one of the issues, and it cost only a head slap!

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The cockpit lights issue was the rocker switch.
Replaced the switch last night. On/Off instant lighting.

Fin-Allie

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
To help with electrical troubleshooting but your self a power probe u can test power feeds and bad wire also grounds along with grounding the circuit or supply voltage as well it will help u the best