2004 Gulfstream with Gil Bracket leaking

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 Gulfstream with a single engine attached to the Gill Bracket. The Gill bracket has a hatch on top and a drain valve on the bottom. Water gets in but does not drain, therefore the leak must come from the circle hatch. What would be the best sealant to use around the round metal hatch and in the screw holes?

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Gulfstream with a single engine attached to the Gill Bracket. The Gill bracket has a hatch on top and a drain valve on the bottom. Water gets in but does not drain, therefore the leak must come from the circle hatch. What would be the best sealant to use around the round metal hatch and in the screw holes?
There are other places where water can get in. It could be that 'cover' but it could be a pin hole in the metal or a leak where the bracket bolts through the transom. If you ca get the boat out of the water, one test would be to remove the cover and fill the bracket with water and fill it all the way. Put the cover back on and look for seepage. If you don't see any, let the boat sit for a day or more and then see if the water level changed. If it did you have a leak somewhere. You should be able to find it by wiping all edges and seams with paper towels to see if they get wet.
If in the water you might want to try using a piece of clear plastic sheet to make a 'cover' for the access plate. The plastic should be wider than the access cover. Use some silicon caulk to glue the plastic to the bracket in effect sealing it off. Run the boat as usual and check for water getting into the bracket. If the bracket is filling up, the access cover isn't your problem.

If you want to try sealing the access cover, use something like Life Caulk. Do not use 4200 or 5200 type of adhesives.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That is a good idea to fill it with water, I can easily do that in the spring when I get access to it. That will be my first thing I do to solve the riddle. Thanks for the suggestions.

seasick

Reaction score
put some food coloring in the water to make the leak easier to find.
That sounds like a good idea but I might test a hidden area of the transom first to make sure the dye is not permanent:)

When checking take a good look at the bilge area and the inside of the transom for leaks.

JRyan

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Did you have any trouble removing the screws on the topside cover?
Thanks

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
No, and when I replaced them I inserted life caulk before inserting the screws. I may have to find more robust anchors that the screws go into.