2004 GW Gulfstream Outrigger Mod (or deletion)

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi folks,
I am contemplating to remove the cabin side mounted sidewinder/wishbow outriggers. I use them periodically, but not that often. The poles themselves are of need for repair. I think removing them would allow me to get from the cockpit to the bow with more space and less things to go around; I go out solo many times, and the clearer side decks would be usefull. Optimally, I'd install hardtop mounted retractable outriggers at some point, but would most likely have to modify the top. That option is costly as well.
Do you all have any other ideas or feedback on installing/using top mounted outriggers? Thanks in advance!

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had some anodised aluminium brackets made. No need to weld mounting plates which means removing the fibreglass top and removing the wiring from the tube being welded. Extremely strong.3C5110AD-6E44-40B9-BBD3-7F857B33EBAE.jpeg

Reactions: coldpizza

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had gunnel mount outriggers on my 228 when I bought it. Used them a couple of time and didn't really care for the lack of a good spread that they gave me, more of a 45° off my gunnel instead of a 90°. Removed those and went with hardtop outriggers and installed the plates underneath. Much happier with the spread and ease of use with them being up out of the way on the hardtop. I don't run with them extended so wasn't real concerned with the welded plate under the hardtop. This setup has worked for me.

20220616_210947.jpg20240127_112158.jpg20220617_205839.jpg20230627_145958.jpg

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had some anodised aluminium brackets made. No need to weld mounting plates which means removing the fibreglass top and removing the wiring from the tube being welded. Extremely strong.View attachment 32388
Thanks, I like the bracket idea; no welding on the existing 1/2 tower. Is the mounting base thru bolted to the top (using the bolts seen in the picture)?
Len

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, I like the bracket idea; no welding on the existing 1/2 tower. Is the mounting base thru bolted to the top (using the bolts seen in the picture)?
Len
Yes Tr
Len
Yes. IMG_1288-compressed.jpeg