2004 Marlin Autopilot suggestions

baldraver

Reaction score
Hi all, I have twin 250s, seastar hydraulic (I assume dual steering, there's a bar between engines), new Simrad Evo3MFDs. What simrad stuff do I need? The computer NAC (2 or 3), and do I need two drive unit or just one?

Thoughts?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You will only need a single auto pilot pump and several brands of auto pilot course computers will communicate with your MFD. You don’t necessarily need a Simrad auto pilot, there are standard NMEA0183 and NMEA 2K communication links that you can use and will work nicely with your MFD. Highly recommend you get an auto pilot computer/course computer that does not need a rudder feedback device. Those feedback devices are typically very unreliable and must be hooked up to your engines. Most of the more modern course computers do not require the rudder feedback. I am almost certain that you must have dual hydraulic rams for your steering. Make sure your auto pilot pump can handle the capacity of your steering cylinders. Most Grady-Whites can use a type three pump. Different brands have different features that they advertise. Shop around and research auto pilot threads on this forum. I have Garmin MFD’s and a Raymarine auto pilot that works perfectly. Good luck!

Reactions: Halfhitch

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On my marlin I run the simrad Nac 3, simrad pump 3, simrad hs60 compass, and SIMRAD AP44. I’ve been happy with my setup!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
At least a Nac2 computer, pump, and heading sensor. The MFDs can replace the stand-alone control but you’ll need a dedicated disengage/red button like the Simrad/Navico outboard pilot (don’t get it as it comes it the crappy NAC1 computer and point 1 heading sensor).

Likely will be best off getting the medium AP44 kit/bundle with everything.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I fitted AP44, NAC-2, in my 228G , works fine. Easy to install in the 228 for anyone with some mechanical knowledge and able to use a spanner. Fit the pump as close as possible to the helm. Depending on the age of your helm to what type of fittings you need . BSP for older pumps and ORB for later models . Not sure when Seastar changed over. Mine is 2013 and came with ORB fittings.

Attachments

• AP442.JPG
    AP442.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • AP 44 location.jpg
    AP 44 location.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 16

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fitted AP44, NAC-2, in my 228G , works fine. Easy to install in the 228 for anyone with some mechanical knowledge and able to use a spanner. Fit the pump as close as possible to the helm. Depending on the age of your helm to what type of fittings you need . BSP for older pumps and ORB for later models . Not sure when Seastar changed over. Mine is 2013 and came with ORB fittings.
wrxhoon, I can't quite visualize just where you mounted your pump. Do you have a picture with a little wider view so I can get my bearings?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Hi John,
Unfortunately I don't have wider angle pictures and I can't take any now because I have to remove the cover.
If you want to install one in your 228, take the cover off ( the one under the dash) and you will find a spot on the board that separates the cabin from the deck . As you can see I used an aluminum angle with rubber so you don't get vibrations . I fixed the ump on the angle and screwed the other side on the cabin board. The computer is inside the cabin to avoid water getting to it. If you use a virtual rudder, I fixed mine in the compartment forward of the toilet. Easy to run the cable to the computer under the bunk.
Very easy to bleed the system and easy to calibrate , just follow instructions.
If you need any more help let me know .

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi John,
Unfortunately I don't have wider angle pictures and I can't take any now because I have to remove the cover.
If you want to install one in your 228, take the cover off ( the one under the dash) and you will find a spot on the board that separates the cabin from the deck . As you can see I used an aluminum angle with rubber so you don't get vibrations . I fixed the ump on the angle and screwed the other side on the cabin board. The computer is inside the cabin to avoid water getting to it. If you use a virtual rudder, I fixed mine in the compartment forward of the toilet. Easy to run the cable to the computer under the bunk.
Very easy to bleed the system and easy to calibrate , just follow instructions.
If you need any more help let me know .
Thanks for clearing that up. So that black hose next to the pump is the deck pump-out for the head.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Had a similar need on my Marlin, went with the Simrad AP48, NAC-3, RPU160 pump, and the Precision-9 heading sensor. I went to a sheet metal shop, had a SS bracket made with gusset, used some rubber gasket material between pump and back. Hung on the back of the bulkhead under the helm and mounted the NAC-3 close to it.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 7