2004 Marlin Batery Config

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys,
I am trying to decipher my wiring diagrams, can anyone confirm (or deny) the std wiring config in the 2004 Marlin for me?

I think that each engine is started via a battery bank (starboard and port banks) of two batteries and that the accessories operate from the starboard batteries and the genny from the port bank.

It seems that there is no dedicated engine and 'house' battery banks, but rather two banks, each bank doing different things.

Is this correct, and if yes, has anyone ever modified the default setup?

Thanks!

ps: Gerry, you still reading this forum?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorta :?

o The std which is for the std engine and the port for the port engine.
o the house buss runs off the stb engine
o Each engine may be assigned to bank 1, 2 or both.
o I thought the genny was started off the house buss but I could be wrong.

I generally swap assignments so on even days I assign std - 1, port - 2 and the opposite on odd days, mainly just ensure even charging. Many have lobbied for a dedicate house battery; mainly so a deep cycle could be used which are better suited to deep discharge but not recommended for cranking. GW is considering this based on the increase of marine and consumer electronic devices in recent years. I have begged for a few years as I play my custom stereo whenever working on the boat and hanging out at the dock. If you happen to have a Furuno RD30 you can set a screen to read voltage. This acts as a very good battery meter. When it drops below 12.3V I either crank the engines or switch banks.

Be aware there was a service memo a few years back which rewired the genny leads with an inline fuse. There were a few cases where the wire chafed and place a dead short on the battery. A personal friend has a 330 which caught fire at the dock. Of course all damage and the fix to affected boats was done by GW dealers free of charge. Make sure your 2004 has been done.

You will love this boat BTW!

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Mega- I appreciate it-

I am indeed enjoying the Marlin. Had it on some nice runs. Thing is so solid. What a great ride in the open ocean. Had it in some not so pleasant stuff, slow down, trim it up and she plows right on.

gerrys

Reaction score
Hi Don, hope everything is well.

You got the battery setup correct. You have 2 banks of Interstate GP27M - SRM-27B Combination Deep Cycle/Starting batteries (upgraded from the GP24's that originally came with the boat).

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Gerry-
Love the boat, could not be happier with her.

You feeling ok? How are you liking that sweet Ranger you bought?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW now uses Penn Deka G27s. I believe they are rated dual purpose which is somewhat a compromise between cranking and deep cycle.

Joe can fill in the details. :D

PS: Yep. The Marlin takes way more than I will. Once I hit an offshore stalled frontal boundry at around 45 nm and plowed throw at least 10 nm of capping 4-5s straight on the bow. I could still manage 18kts but pulled the throttles back when a really big one was coming. We were partially airborne at least once and pull the props several times. I always felt in control however and realized at the moment the boat could get me home safely in anything less then "never should have gone out in the first place".

BTW: Once in the stream it calmed down and we fished in sunny 2-3s. The ride home was 28 kts as well. I am sure it was a dissipating boundry which produced locally windy and grey conditions since it was gone in the PM.

gerrys

Reaction score
Hi Don. Yea, doing well and getting ready for a few weeks in Alaska. We're taking a small boat cruise up the Inside Passage and then to Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks. I suppose it'll be a little cooler up there.

The Ranger has made tracks all over Florida and regularly gets bloodied up with those slimey things.

Mega: sounds like an adventure. I used to fish the Steeples (may have been the Pinnacles - long time ago) off of Cape Fear during my younger days. Great Yellow Fin territory.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
PS: Yep. The Marlin takes way more than I will. Once I hit an offshore stalled frontal boundry at around 45 nm and plowed throw at least 10 nm of capping 4-5s straight on the bow. I could still manage 18kts but pulled the throttles back when a really big one was coming. We were partially airborne at least once and pull the props several times. I always felt in control however and realized at the moment the boat could get me home safely in anything less then "never should have gone out in the first place".

I hear you, whenever it is sketchy, I usually blame it on my own zeal and try to get home quickly, if possible.

Here is a good one for you. Recently I was in my friends lower end 25' cat (sorry to Cat owners, but this one at least, feels really weird when it takes a wave, a wierd, non v-hull, unpredictable motion). Well, him being a Flordida native, I let him convince me that the front, which was all up and down the coast, would dissapate once it got over the ocean. I really wanted to fish you see, the Muttons were hitting like crazy then.

Oh yeah, he likes to joke that when his boat takes a wave, you can see the fiberglass ripple...lol. (first negativge indicator)

Well, when it hit the ocean, it hardly slowed, it accelerated to our position about 3 miles offshore and the only daylight was further East. Whoops, now we were 6-7 miles out with 75 yard visability and 40-50 knot winds, it was gnarly.

I stumbled to get us some orange jackets and when we realized his GPS was not working, I tried to call the coast guard, to let them know we were out there and all I heard was Pom-Pom and his radio would not transmit...we were in the thick of it! Nice eh.

Long story short, I used my iPhone to get us back, and it took us hours to go about 12 miles, can you imagine what Apple would have paid for that footage!?

Well, during the whole ordeal, we were both wishing we had taken the Grady that day, where it would have been uncomfortable, but not really that dangerous, relatively speaking. Not to mention my boat has redundant everything, thanks to Gerry. And I have kept up his meticulous maintenance.

Needless to say, my friends boat now has all electronics working properly!

Made me thankful to have the Grady, that day. We have not fished on his boat since!