2004 Tournament 205 Transom?

dpatnaude

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Hi All,

I was looking at a 2004 Tournament 205 that is for sale through a co-worker of my wife. Went to look at it today still on land and under shrink warp. Boat seems pretty solid, but I have some concern on the starboard side of the engine well.

It looks like maybe the aluminum cap is both corroded and possibly pushed in exposing the top of the transom. It is not like this on the port side of the engine. Also a small crack at least in the gel-coat at the corner of the engine well on the starboard side that did not show up in the photo now that I am back at home.

20220320_125826.jpg 20220320_125838.jpg

Is this a walk-away issue for this boat?

Thanks,
Dave

Fishtales

Reaction score
Could be water intrusion in the transom core. I'd recommend a survey if you take it further. Another test is to rock the engine on the transom and see if there is flex. Couple things happen, the water can freeze if in cold water causing delamination and bulging or the chemicals in the PT wood mix with the metal bracket and cause a gel to form which manifests itself in bulges.
Pretty common issue. If not resolved it will get worse. Can be a minor fix $5K range or an entire transom maybe $20K. It's an 18 year old boat so there will be some things that need attention.

HTHM

Reaction score
Depends on the price, your skill set, and your willingness to take on a project.
I'd take a brisk walk to be honest.

dpatnaude

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Price was already high for an 18 year old boat. Back story was that this is the second owner for the past 6 years. Original owner was the marina owner and kept it in storage most of the first 12 years. Hours not confirmed, but expected to be less than 400 total hours on the engine.