2004 Yamaha F225 - Warranty

DUB82

Reaction score
All,

I am looking to repower my Grady White Seafarer 228 with a Yamaha F225 4 cycle. I am aware of the corrosion issue with Yamaha of that vintage. What should I look for in a warranty for a used engine?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Absolutely nothing in the way of a warranty. It's 15 years old, used, why would you think it has a warranty??

seasick

Reaction score
The bulk of the problems started with the 2005 production year. As mentioned, there is no factory warranty. Even if the seller or dealer gave you a warranty it would be for a short time and most likely before you have a problem.
Who are you buying the motor from?. If a dealer, ask them to state the condition as they see it in writing. They may not know about problems, but if they do, they legally can't lie.
Of course proving that later on is not a simple task.
Regardless, have the exhaust scoped, preferably by someone other than the seller ( Having it done by the dealer is OK as long as they will put the results of the scoping in writing.

Reactions: DUB82

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd see if/when the mid sections were replaced. If not, see if you can get them replaced on their dime or at a minimum have them scoped (need to drop the lower units) to do so.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nothing was mentioned about a dealer so just took it as buying from an individual. Be surprised if a dealer offers any more than a 30 day warranty. Biggest issue is the exhaust, make sure that is done or deducted out of the price if not done.

DUB82

Reaction score
Thanks Ky, Fishtales and Seasick! Appreciate the responses. I am talking to a Boat Broker who works on G-Ws and Yamaha outboards in the MA area. He has a 2004 F225 which he will install on my Seafarer 228. He is offering to warranty the engine for one season, we are discussing the details. I am concerned about the corrosion issues with that vintage, not to mention that the motor is 15 years old.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a pair of 04 f225, they were replaced in in 2017 due to the corrosion issue extending into the engine. I will tell you the 04 even when the corrosion was discovered were running perfect.
They were extremely dependable for the 13 years I owned them. Aside from routine maintenance they never had a single repair needed. I hear from many that once the exhaust is replaced those
engines continue to deliver for in some cases thousands of hours. One season warranty is a good insurance on a 15 year old motor. Good luck

Reactions: Longstreet

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a '04 F225 that the exhaust was done 2 years ago and it's running well, 1278 hours. As long as the corrosion has not gotten into the oil pan or eaten into the mating surface of the power head, replacing the exhaust is a fairly easy fix.

seasick

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Yamaha is still offering the exhaust kits at a discount? It was $600 I think with the discount. Add labor in my neck of the woods and the job would run $1500 to $2000 . The kit didn't include the oil pan or the oil pump which should be replaced when the power unit is off.. So what would you negotiate as a price? I suspect that the motors don't have a lot of value, maybe $5500 or thereabouts.I watched one job getting done and I am not so sure I would tackle the project by myself.

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can inspect when they drop the lower unit for work. it shouldn't cost much at all. you can get a cheap scope at harbor freight it needed.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hey all, did the 2005-250 have the same corrosion problem?

My mechanic has seen them in the 250s up to 08. Any engine of that vintage I would just plan on doing the midsections. The kits are available, and most dealers stock the parts.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have two 250s with manufacture dates of 2006. One of them was corroded by 2011 and had the midsection done, including the oil pan. The other one has been scoped twice, last time in 2017 and is fine, no change since 2011.

Fishtales

Reaction score
FWIW I was told the coating was changed in 2006. Mine are 2005 models and I did both sections and all the recommended other parts that SIM Yamaha recommended while doing the teardown.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Well, I just pulled the lowers off. The starboard looks like new but the port looks like the surface of the moon. It’s crazy in the difference and both are Feb 05 and both have exactly 1523hrs.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When looking at the 04 F225, be sure to check for corrosion at the thermostat housing, both sides. The corrosion can go through the block and the engine will ingest salt water. Pull the thermostats and feel inside the block - if there's corrosion, it will be quite evident.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well, I just pulled the lowers off. The starboard looks like new but the port looks like the surface of the moon. It’s crazy in the difference and both are Feb 05 and both have exactly 1523hrs.

Interesting! My bad one was port also!

seasick

Reaction score
I think there still was a manufacture date on those motors on a tag. If so can you compare the dates on both motors, I am currious.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
From memory, not at home, 04/06 on the one with no corrosion and 05/06 on the one with corrosion. I seem to remember asking myself that question and was puzzled by the fact that the earlier date was the non-corroded one. Good question though, I'll check next week if I can remember. I feel certain one was 05/06, but not positive which one.