2005 226 upgrade Nav and cockpit lights

kendcc

Reaction score
Happy New Year folks! I have a 2005 226 and I need to replace my Anchor light. While I'm at it, I think I ought to also replace my cockpit lights, spreader lights and port/starboard nav lights. Thinking of LED all around. Just wondering if anyone's done this? I'm very interested in the replacement lights you used or did you simply replace the "bulbs"?

seasick

Reaction score
I usually do not recommend replacing nav light bulbs with LED bulbs as opposed to replacing the fixture. The issue with replacing bulbs with LED is the spectrum of the led light can be very different than the colored lenses pass and the brightness may be seriously reduced. Replacing white (clear) bulbs in white/clear fixtures like cabin lights, spreaders, cockpit etc is fine
LED fixtures are less prone to develop corrosion issues with lamp contacts like incandescent bulbs often experience'
LED spreader lamps will draw significantly smaller currents reducing battery drain and lamp fixture temperature ( those halogen bulbs can actually get how enough to cause fires).

Reactions: kendcc

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I switched over to the Attwood LED fixtures for Red/Green and mast light and they are great so far. No more blown bulb issues when I am heading out at 4am.

Reactions: kendcc

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Following... I need to upgrade to LED lights as well on my boat.

kendcc

Reaction score
I usually do not recommend replacing nav light bulbs with LED bulbs as opposed to replacing the fixture. The issue with replacing bulbs with LED is the spectrum of the led light can be very different than the colored lenses pass and the brightness may be seriously reduced. Replacing white (clear) bulbs in white/clear fixtures like cabin lights, spreaders, cockpit etc is fine
LED fixtures are less prone to develop corrosion issues with lamp contacts like incandescent bulbs often experience'
LED spreader lamps will draw significantly smaller currents reducing battery drain and lamp fixture temperature ( those halogen bulbs can actually get how enough to cause fires).
Thanks. I am really planning on replacing fixtures, just wasn't sure if folks thought just bulbs. Any leads on how/where to properly size/select replacement fixtures?

kendcc

Reaction score
I switched over to the Attwood LED fixtures for Red/Green and mast light and they are great so far. No more blown bulb issues when I am heading out at 4am.
yea, i'm with you on replacing the fixtures! Can you share what Attwood fixtures you got? Like for like replacement or did you have to do any modification/drilling etc. Would really appreciate hearing the details... Want to take this project on as soon as I rip the shrink wrap off late March.

seasick

Reaction score
The Attwood for a deck mount separate fixture is NV2012SSG-7 for green. For red the number is similar with an R I think. Stainless housings and run about 50 bucks each. I suspect there might be a package with both fixtures but I can't find a listing to be sure.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought these and installed them on my 2000 228. They are smaller than the originals but Attwood discontinued the prior version that was a direct size replacement.

I haven’t replaced the anchor light yet but forgot where my research took me. I’ll need to measure again.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought these and installed them on my 2000 228. They are smaller than the originals but Attwood discontinued the prior version that was a direct size replacement.

I haven’t replaced the anchor light yet but forgot where my research took me. I’ll need to measure again.

Any idea what the original part number is/was? For the new ones, it looks like they make them in both an "oval" shape as well as in a "round" shape, at least per their website.

It depends on what size you have for your anchor light, but here is the 12" LED version.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i did LED red/green nav units and popped a soft white Dr LED bulb into my Perko all around light.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KYGrady knows the original part number but you can’t find anywhere as it was discontinued about 2-3 yrs ago. Think it was 3500 series

Take your light off and measure the base with what you have. You can compare the measurements to the spec in their catalog. The one I got was a better fit than the other design. I still had to fill in two holes and drill new ones.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's the old number. As Blaugrana said, they have been discontinued. 3550R7, 3550G7.

20170511_213719.jpg20170511_213710.jpg20170511_213639.jpg

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. I am really planning on replacing fixtures, just wasn't sure if folks thought just bulbs. Any leads on how/where to properly size/select replacement fixtures?
I replaced all the bulbs in a ‘04 Seafarer with LED last year and they’ve been great. No issues with spectrum or anything like that. I even got a red one for the cockpit overhead light to replace the white one with a red rubber band around it that they shipped from the factory. See receipt below - $60 or so all in. Then for the spreader lights I found good ones on Amazon that alternate between white and blue depending on how many times you press power button. Wave One marine Duel Color spreader lights.

Attachments

• AAD43B61-15EA-44F0-9F08-A5A65080E06D.png
    AAD43B61-15EA-44F0-9F08-A5A65080E06D.png
    698.6 KB · Views: 13

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the white deck lights there 208 or 228? Looking to go LED. Have found some underwater lights that would work but they are all 36V

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes KY thanks, just ordered some blue LED like yours this a.m. Yours look great!

Kosta

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Happy New Year folks! I have a 2005 226 and I need to replace my Anchor light. While I'm at it, I think I ought to also replace my cockpit lights, spreader lights and port/starboard nav lights. Thinking of LED all around. Just wondering if anyone's done this? I'm very interested in the replacement lights you used or did you simply replace the "bulbs"?
We recently replaced every single bulb including nav (bulbs only) and anchor light (new fixture) on the entire boat with LED bulbs. zero issues, brighter and less amp draw, not hot. All available on Amazon just don't buy bulbs made in china, shorter life.
Next step is phasing out/replacing cockpit red rope lighting.