2005 282 Audio

hawk196

Reaction score
Was wondering about upgrading the stock kentwood audio system. Does anybody have any ideas on what would be a good alliterative.

I have a few questions about what kind of equipment ill need such as(Replacement speakers, Amps, Best placement location, and Sub)

There are speakers amps and subs all over the place, I'm just looking to buy the right equipment, install the right way the first time.

Motivator

Reaction score
On my 2006 282 I replaced the helm speakers with JL Audio and added a JL amp last year. Big difference. Speakers fit in the same holes and the installer located the amp behind the microwave. Extremely clean install. Would have liked to replace the head unit, but it was not in the budget.

bc282

Reaction score
The most difficult and time consuming part will be runnin the wiring harness for the hard wired remote at the helm. Check the speaker wires, if they r in ruff oxidized shape, this too will increase your time and effort in upgrading your audio.

Most likely you require a single DIN size deck, lots of good choices, just a matter of how much $ you willing to part with.

Most definitely buy true marine grade stereo components or plan to replace stuff every other year!

Do a search here as there's good info on this project for your 282.

As mentioned, the remote wires run fom the deck to the bow anchor locker, around the starboard side, behind the head/shower, to the aft bunk, up under the starboard side of the console (directly below the Yamaha dual throttles, same space as a bunch of other wires, cables, and hydraulic lines), and finally to the console at helm. Use a buddy, pull strings, fish tape and any access holes you can find. If you have an AC/rev heat pump in the aft bunk starboard side as a do, you will need to unscrew and temporarily remove the carpeted plywood bulkhead to gain access to that space.

Good luck, not a difficult task but a lot of work IMO, therefore buy better components that last and do this deed just once.

hawk196

Reaction score
Thank you for the commits. Yea i know what you mean, about running wires. Just ran Ocean LED's to transom and installed a switch on helm.

The Kentwood has the remote on dash already but hopefully a clarion system and remote can use the existing wires. Just need to run wire for amp to be installed. I was thinking placing the amp in the helm right by the access cover in the head, any commits on that?