2005 282 Sailfish Moisture Issue

Richard1572

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pipehunter, did you ever get your sides recored? I just discovered rotten cores in the sides of my 1997 272 Sailfish and need to start making some decisions on how to handle.

Pipehunter

Reaction score
I did not. After discussing this with a number of folks, I decided not to do that. We live on the Chesapeake Bay and are fair weather boaters. We are typically 15 minutes from fishing and never more than 40 minutes. We also don’t see the need for WOT.
The boat has been great with only minor issues. We love it. Just pulled and covered for the winter.
Folks complain about boats but they pale in comparison to motorhomes both in terms of issues and regular maintenance.

Richard1572

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's really good to hear. I have fishing trips planned every weekend in December and wasn't sure if I was going to have to cancel. Sound like as long as I'm not going way offshore or in big seas I should be good and can adress the issue next yeargiving me time to research the right guy to do the job. I think the one long term isue you may have that I have is gelcoat blistering in the area where the core is wet.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes. Good luck with the boat and enjoy it. My guess is many of the boats have this issue unfortunately. Not so sure I agree with the banging off the pilings that was told by GW, but I fully expect the manufacturer to blame the customer and not themselves.