2005 330 Express Air Conditioning Replacement

Libero

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Weighing out a repair or replacement of a 10K BTU marine AC unit that's ~15 years old. Will be going over it with a local tech, but am considering a refurbished or a direct replacement option. Has anyone been down this path and can you share where you ended up? I called Dometic and there's a unit that's a close replacement, but not direct. I don't want to get into fabrication if I end up going that route. Thanks in advance!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007, but don't give up on your current unit until you have done troubleshooting with the automated system. Lots of good info available through the control panel. Could be something minor. Get the manual and see what the trouble codes tell you.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The unit is accessible enough once you pull that panel, but I had the same thought that without a drop in replacement it could be a challenge.

There's a ton of room behind the larger portside panel where the pumps are, I wouldn't be surprised if you could make that work for a retrofit A/C if needed, the real challenge for fabrication will be the intake side as none of that compartment is 'sealed.'

Libero

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. The old unit is out and getting tested. I called GW to get an idea of what they are using today as a replacement and they gave me a PN of 205160128 which is a Marine Aiire unit. I called Dometic who recommended either a ECD10 (standard quality unit) or a DTG10 (better quality unit). While the footprint will fit, the intake is the piece I'm most concerned about. Talking to my tech, he said most marine AC systems do the intake register right from the airspace around the unit and isn't directly ducted to the cabin. If the grate is there it will naturally pull the air for re-circulation.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the responses so far. The old unit is out and getting tested. I called GW to get an idea of what they are using today as a replacement and they gave me a PN of 205160128 which is a Marine Aiire unit. I called Dometic who recommended either a ECD10 (standard quality unit) or a DTG10 (better quality unit). While the footprint will fit, the intake is the piece I'm most concerned about. Talking to my tech, he said most marine AC systems do the intake register right from the airspace around the unit and isn't directly ducted to the cabin. If the grate is there it will naturally pull the air for re-circulation.

I sold marine AC for years. We alway recommended trying to duct the return somehow. Otherwise you will be pulling air from all the closed off areas behind the hull liner. Yuck.

Reactions: wspitler