2005 Grady 222 repower seeking new Yamaha 250 hp - Only counter rotating engine found

Okiecoach

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Unable to locate any new Yamaha 250 hp outboards due to shortage nationwide. What about using a left counter rotating engine as single motor on a 2005 grady 222. How will it affect operation and docking in slip. Appreciate any comments.

seasick

Reaction score
It will work but may seem odd to others:) The handling will change a bit in the respect that tendencies to prop walk etc will be in the opposite direction. Depending on where you dock, that may be an advantage or a disadvantage.
If your hull has a tendency to list to one side during high torque application, it will do that in the opposite direction also.

If needed, testing out different props might be harder also assuming there are a lot more normal CW props than CCWs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yamaha does make kits that change the gearing from CR to regular - not sure of cost, but if I remember correctly, not too bad.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a counter rotating on my Honda. Since I have no idea how the normal would work on my setup, I am no help there BUT the counter rotating works fine as far as docking and reverse go. Drives straight as a nail on calm days too.

seasick

Reaction score
Yamaha does make kits that change the gearing from CR to regular - not sure of cost, but if I remember correctly, not too bad.
The lower units are different. For a CCW you need to change the LU. I am not sure if the LU casing is the same but that should be easy to look up.
It just so happened that I just read the Suzuki motor brochure and learned that the 250 and up motors can be run CW or CCW. To convert to CCW, you need a small plug in electric adapter and a CCW prop of course. The point is that the LUs are built to handel the max torques in both CW and CCW rotation as opposed to other brands of motors.