2005 Grady White 228 Seafarer knee paddings removal for re-uphoster

nicnguyen

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you remove the 2 sides knee paddings? Thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
Are you referring to the bolsters? Post a picture, that will help.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Look under the combing pads, you may need to lift up a little on the fabric to see them but there should be a screw about every 2ft or so holding them. Remove those and then slide them up off their brackets that hold them to the inside of the gunwale.

Reactions: glacierbaze

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
FWIW... I had a hard time accessing the screws without tearing the dried out bolsters. Finally I figured out that I was getting the darn things off to have them redone and tore whatever tore to get to the screws.

Reactions: glacierbaze

seasick

Reaction score
You probably will not be able to reuse the existing holes when reinstalling since the chance of them lining up is just about zero. Therefore plan on sealing the old holes

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure if you are in salt enviroment but it may be time to replace the bolster brackets - when I removed mine to replace the brackets were literlly just flaking apart after 10 years in the salt.

Mangroveman

Reaction score
FWIW... I had a hard time accessing the screws without tearing the dried out bolsters. Finally I figured out that I was getting the darn things off to have them redone and tore whatever tore to get to the screws.
Yup, that is how I did it. Had to tear up some of the old material to properly align a screwdriver and extract the screws. If they do not slide up and off you missed a hidden screw. The factory was not too careful so you can do better when you put them back. Specifically plug old holes and redrill new ones at a better angle for access. I burned through the new mesh/foam with a hot ice pick first for a clean entry.