2005 Release 283 Pump Out Issue

Boatdangit

Reaction score
Model
Release
I have an 05 GW 283 Release that has a full waste reservoir and I can get the pump out to work. I just bought the boat in June and it looks like the DROCO macerator switch and tank level monitor are not working (not powering on) so I decide to use the dock pump out option. I switched the y valve under the starboard gunwale and when I hooked up the suction hose, all I hear is a high pitched whining noise and nothing comes out. I moved the Y valve in the other direction and i got the same result. does anyone have any ideas as to what i am doing wrong or what the fix might be?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It could be that your vent is blocked up. Check it out - look closely at the thru-hull fitting. It's rare for a y-valve to fail, but I suppose anything is possible. A clog in the vent hose coudl cause the issue, as well. A hard/solid clog in the pump-out hose (or the dip tube in the tank) is another possibility.

Boatdangit

Reaction score
Model
Release
Thanks. I will try unblocking the vent before jumping into the dirty stuff. Any suggestions on the best way to unblock it?

seasick

Reaction score
Y can try flushing the pump out plumbing with a garden hose stuck into the pump out fitting. Shoot a little water backwards into the tank. Go slow at first to see how fast the fill backs up. Be careful, this approach may cause some blow back and spray but it can clear a blockage. I don't know what Y valve you have but mine is not intuitive at all. If I flip the handle so that is seems to face in the direction of the pump out hose, it actually opens the overboard discharge port and visa versa. The trick is that there are markings on the two outputs that the handle blocks, When the marking is blocked, the one that is visible is the selected port.

You can also use the hose to flush the vent. Open the pump out cap, make sure the Y is in pump out mode and back flush with a hose into the vent. Again, watch for blow back!

Boatdangit

Reaction score
Model
Release
Y can try flushing the pump out plumbing with a garden hose stuck into the pump out fitting. Shoot a little water backwards into the tank. Go slow at first to see how fast the fill backs up. Be careful, this approach may cause some blow back and spray but it can clear a blockage. I don't know what Y valve you have but mine is not intuitive at all. If I flip the handle so that is seems to face in the direction of the pump out hose, it actually opens the overboard discharge port and visa versa. The trick is that there are markings on the two outputs that the handle blocks, When the marking is blocked, the one that is visible is the selected port.

You can also use the hose to flush the vent. Open the pump out cap, make sure the Y is in pump out mode and back flush with a hose into the vent. Again, watch for blow back!
Thank you. I will try that today!!