2005 SF 282 Battery Wiring

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How are my batteries wired? I have 3 batteries but only 2 switches.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One battery is a starter for a single engine and the 2 batteries are wired in parallel. The two in parallel start one engine and powers you accessories. The factory set up on my04 SF has the switch wired to the #1 position to the single and parallel wired to the #2 switch positon. I leave mine set to #1 on the port and #2 on the starboard. This gives you flexibility to be able to still start your engines is one battery is dead. Never switch the batteries by turning the switch through off if the engine is running. Good luck!

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One battery is a starter for a single engine and the 2 batteries are wired in parallel. The two in parallel start one engine and powers you accessories. The factory set up on my04 SF has the switch wired to the #1 position to the single and parallel wired to the #2 switch positon. I leave mine set to #1 on the port and #2 on the starboard. This gives you flexibility to be able to still start your engines is one battery is dead. Never switch the batteries by turning the switch through off if the engine is running. Good luck!

Mine is the same, and i do what you do. It saved my butt once in the middle of the chesapeake.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine has three batteries, and three switches. Two batteries dedicated to the two motors (individually or together), and both of them are isolated but charge the house battery. I though this was normal.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine has three batteries, and three switches. Two batteries dedicated to the two motors (individually or together), and both of them are isolated but charge the house battery. I though this was normal.

This seems like a better system.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both of those Yamahas are going to have auxiliary charging cables, and you never know what the original rigger, or the previous owner, has done with them, until you open up those battery switches and diagram all your connections for future reference.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Both of those Yamahas are going to have auxiliary charging cables, and you never know what the original rigger, or the previous owner, has done with them, until you open up those battery switches and diagram all your connections for future reference.
"aux charging cable" - does this mean Yamaha has the standard battery cable that connects to your main starting battery but also a 2nd "aux" cable that could charge a different battery (if it wasn't in parallel) ?

If so, I'd like to isolate all three batteries. One to start each engine with it's own battery switch which when switched to both connects to the other engines starting battery. Then the house battery is isolated but is charged by one of the motor's aux charging cables. In this scenario I'd have to add a house battery switch. Does this sound reasonable? Am I thinking correctly?

I guess if I did this and added the 3rd switch, I should wire it so when it's flipped to both it would be in parallel with the starting battery/engine that it's not being charged by. ??? (for extra redundancy) - That way if alternator one goes out I could maintain house charge with the other motor.

This is getting too complicated...maybe I should just call SeaTow. :D

Last edited:

meletong

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 2005 manual says 2 batteries to #1 and 1 battery to #2. It says for normal function to put the starboard motor on #1 and the port motor on #2 … this is how my 2005 is wired … note this is the reverse of what @Legend posted for their 2004 …

Attachments

• 0FA7F529-C514-4652-A9E7-68AC7EF8F8ED.jpeg
    0FA7F529-C514-4652-A9E7-68AC7EF8F8ED.jpeg
    731.8 KB · Views: 13
  • B54F1474-B158-45DC-870B-E6025AA43F49.jpeg
    B54F1474-B158-45DC-870B-E6025AA43F49.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 18

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Meletong: Good posting. It caused me to go back and read my manual more carefully. My 2007 manual reads like your 2005. Battery select switch position 1 powers the starboard engine and the house battery.

I do a lot of live-bait drift fishing with the live well running. I tend to alternate which engine I keep running so that the livewell pump doesn't run down a battery. Now that I think about it, running the port engine while drifting offers no protection to the batteries being discharged.

seasick

Reaction score
Meletong: Good posting. It caused me to go back and read my manual more carefully. My 2007 manual reads like your 2005. Battery select switch position 1 powers the starboard engine and the house battery.

I do a lot of live-bait drift fishing with the live well running. I tend to alternate which engine I keep running so that the livewell pump doesn't run down a battery. Now that I think about it, running the port engine while drifting offers no protection to the batteries being discharged.
On Myotherboat, the switches are not labelled. I know which motor is powered by which switch but as to whether the starboard switch is number 1 or number 2 is not clear.
The accessory buss is powered by the port motor switch.
I suppose there probably is a standard as to which motor is motor 1 and which is motor 2 ( and motor 3 and 4 etc.) Does anyone have a reference for motor numbering standards?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know there are folks on here who understand batteries and boat electrical systems very well. I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. To add to Seasick's question. Assuming a boat/batteries are wired like mine, what if the starboard-most battery select switch is left 'off' and the port-most select switch is in position 2. Would the starboard engine then get no juice? (Or maybe this is exactly what Seasick say he already has done and knows?)

And if that is the case, would that answer the question of how the battery selector switches are wired?

Rob

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the starboard switch is left off you will get no power to starboard engines or accessories. This assuming the center and starboard batteries are wired in parallel. Easiest way to determine this is to switch starboard off and try the engine trim and switch on a light or other accessory. I actually just labeled my switches with a permanent marker as parallel and single and put a star where each switch should be assigned.

Last edited: