2006 282 Sailfish Fresh Water Fill

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Last night I decided to fill up my fresh water tank for the first time this season, after emptying and winterizing it for the winter (I'm in NY). Filling it was taking very long, I had full hose pressure and was not getting any splash back. However I was never able to fill the tank. There was no point where water started squirting back out, which is what usually happens when its full. I made sure everything was back together after the winter. Bilge was completely dry. I have not had a chance to troubleshoot, but wanted to put it out there to the Great Grady pros and see if this has happened to anyone. Also, my freshwater pump works as I checked it after "filling". Thanks all!

seasick

Reaction score
Since you didn't see any obvious leaks, let's assume that the tank was filling slower than you expected. That can be due to several factors but one thing I find on my tank is that if I jam a hose nozzle into the fill too far, it kind of blocks the flow. To test that out, fill using a hose with no nozzle on it and see if it fills faster.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Turn on the freshwater system, the pump should pressurize and turn off quickly. If it continues to run, you have a leak, or a faucet open, on the pressurized side, after the pump. If it turns off quickly, just keep filling. If it doesn't over flow, the leak is between the tank and the fill.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItalianAngler

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
my 2004 the tank holds 32 gallons - are you sure yhad ou gave it enough time to fill? On mine it seems like it takes forever but eventually it does overflow. if you were pouring water into the bilge you would think that you would either see it or or hear the bilge pump running.
Two years ago I had should surgery in the fall so I a local guy winterize the boat. Some how he did not get all the water out of the lines and I had a split in a hose, It was not easy to find but after a lot of trouble shooting I found the split and it was in behind the refrigerator. Good luck

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine takes FOR-EV-ER to fill up, lot of water. I don't how the access to the tank and run to the pump is on your era but getting to the lines on my 2002 is a real beast.

seasick

Reaction score
If that tank holds 32 gallons, it could take a fairly long time to fill. As a reference, take a 5 gallon pail or similar as long as you know the capacity and fill it with the hose while timing the fill, Let's say a 5G pail take 2 minutes to fill. Your tank would therefore take just over 6 minutes to fill and that may feel like an eternity.

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you all for the responses. It turns out that when I reconnected everything after the winter I forgot to close the drain at the hot water tank. Dumb mistake on my part, but it happens. I filled up the tank last night and she topped off correctly.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Let's say a 5G pail take 2 minutes to fill. Your tank would therefore take just over 6 minutes to fill

LOL. In some countries it could be as long as 12 min under those conditions. ;)

reelserious

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. It turns out that when I reconnected everything after the winter I forgot to close the drain at the hot water tank. Dumb mistake on my part, but it happens. I filled up the tank last night and she topped off correctly.
Sorry but I have to ask, if that was the problem then why was there no water in the bilge? The water heater should drain straight to the front bilge (unless your model year is different), so you would think you would see it in the aft bilge unless the front bilge is not properly draining to the aft. Glad you found the problem anyway.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's ~30 gallons. Get a flow rate on the hose using a couple of milk jugs and time it in addition to the checks with pressurization and bilge.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry but I have to ask, if that was the problem then why was there no water in the bilge? The water heater should drain straight to the front bilge (unless your model year is different), so you would think you would see it in the aft bilge unless the front bilge is not properly draining to the aft. Glad you found the problem anyway.
I thought the same thing.