2006 282 Sailfish

Davpet60

Reaction score
If the survey works out on Friday, buying a 282 sailfish, can't wait!! looked high and low for the right boat and the 282 is the one for me.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Good Luck. We have an 05 282 and its a great boat.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Yamaha 250s. We're in Southern California. We keep her in a slip.....Huntington Harbor. Most of our boating is coastal fishing and 1-3 night stays at Catalina Island.

Fishtales

Reaction score
nice boat. i had a 2002 before getting 2-footitis....

HBSteve

Reaction score
Funny you say that.....my wife is on me for a bigger boat. It'll be double what we paid for the sailfish to get a late model Marlin or Express though. Money always seems to get in the way I suppose. We love our boat though. Wife justs wants more room for the frequent weekend trips to Catalina Island.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the classified. There's a guy selling a '98-'99 Marlin in the New England area really cheap. Believe it was because of health reasons. It was bumped a couple times and I'm not sure if it's still available.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Steve,
Not sure how your help is set up, Mine had 2 captains chairs. As I got older and rounder, I found the space between the helm arm rests to be a PIA. That was my only complaint with the boat. I was going to remove (cut off) the two arm rests on the aisle and free up some space or get the companion seat. The Marlin had a companion seat and I struck a good deal in November to buy the Marlin. I would still have the 282 if the deal wasn't favorable.

Good solid boat.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There was a 282 on Cape Cod last year that was seemingly in great condition. Buyer had it surveyed and determined the core & transom were soaked.

capeguy

Reaction score
I have the same boat/year. Love it. Only issue has been headliner cracks that happen in winter with extreme temp changes here in Mass. GW has taken care of them for me. Great support.

I keep thinking I want to go bigger, but this is the perfect size for me.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Harpoon said:
There was a 282 on Cape Cod last year that was seemingly in great condition. Buyer had it surveyed and determined the core & transom were soaked.
Wonder what year? I've never heard of this happening on anything from the late nineties.

HBSteve

Reaction score
The wife is excited about the 330 Express. Figuring it'll be costly upgrade no matter so go big......but thats six digits plus. Our 282 is bulletproof, looks great and fits easily in the budget....boats are always wants versus needs I suppose.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The bigger you go the cost really ratchets up. The nice thing about the 282 is you can trailer it locally pretty easily. Get into the 300 or 330 sizes and you really can't do it at all without a permit.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had a 22 Seafarer and got the "two foot itis" disease.

Upgraded to a 265 Express then the disease hit me again.

Upgraded to a 330 Express and I (so far) seem cured (5 + years running).

As to cost of maintaining a larger boat - I don't see it any different from my 265 since both boats have twin engines and I do 95% of the work they need - myself. I don't do VST's and timing belts, otherwise, it's all fairly easy work. And cheap.

The ONE thing I will say is, the 22 footers are very portable on a trailer. The 30 plus footers are not. I'm talking trailering it hundreds of miles to go where the fish are. Of course some of you do this trailering with your Sailfish sized boats but that is a lot of beam and weight to be hauling down the freeway at 70 mph (just sayin). Special permits and big trucks are needed.

Also, if you're in between the 22 and 30+ footers, you are constantly challenged in the wet slip Vs. trailer argument.

I say, stay SMALL (22-25 feet) or go BIG (30-33 feet). If your situation allows for a wet slip, you will never look back. The beam of the 330 Express for example is 11'6" and waterline is about 30 feet. The comfort that these dimensions afford is considerably beyond anything that a 26-28 foot boat offers. And as to fuel economy - really not that much difference from a Sailfish. My 330 gets 1 nMPG on a day's fishing. I typically invite 3 of my pals along who help with the fuel cost and boat cleaning. As a result, for me personally, I have a 4 nMPG boat!

In summary, I have learned that "less is more" if you want to trailer your boat hundreds of miles repeatedly throughout the year. If your boating does not fit this user profile, go BIG and you will have no regrets...

HBSteve

Reaction score
Oh I'm with you 100% on that. Our Sailfish is in the slip and always will be, the actual cost of operation and maintenance between the 282 and 330 wouldn't be so much an issue. The problem is purchase price. We got the 05 Sailfish w/250s about two years ago for $60k. It was a sweet deal and we don't owe anything. To land a top quality 2005 or newer 330 is most likely $130,000 at least. With California's taxes, possible broker fees and the increase in price.....whew, it's a chunk of change. I couldn't agree with you more though. If we could get there, we would !!

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well Dave, how'd the survey go?? Did you get an independent engine survey also? Are you a new owner?

Yea, yea, yea....the 33 Express is hot looking but there is something to be said for the practicality of a walk around. It would be nice to see a shoot out between the 33 Express and the 30 Marlin.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Agreed on the purchase price difference. You got a good deal on your Sailfish! Now use the heck out of it. Best boat? The one used the most...