2006 300 Marlin

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Possible new Grady-White owner and I have a few questions if anyone has the time and experience. I'm looking at a 2006 300 Marlin and I'm wondering what the common issues are that I need to look for when I look the boat over or on the sea trial specific to this model or year. I haven't really heard anything bad so I'll reaching out to see if there is anything. My previous boat was a 1995 Bayliner Trophy 18' so needless to say this is going to be a huge upgrade. Thanks.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
With any boat in that age and price range...get a good hull survey (with moisture meter). If the boat has Yammies in the same year be sure they have had the exhaust tuners replaced. Although I'm currently in the 282 Sailfish phase of life, I previously owned a brand new 300 Marlin ('03) and actually came south on it to retire from the DC area. I honestly cant think of anything negative to say to watch for with the Marlin...she was by far the finest of many fishing vessels I've enjoyed and I had years of offshore adventures on. Be sure all systems especially high ticket items like AC, water heater and Fridge work.

Reactions: Goose

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an 05 Marlin, best boat I've ever owned. It took around 6 months to find what I was looking for. I agree with Capnjim on everything, if or when you get one you won't regret it, good luck in your search. BTW if think Fishtails has 1 for sale.

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
With any boat in that age and price range...get a good hull survey (with moisture meter). If the boat has Yammies in the same year be sure they have had the exhaust tuners replaced. Although I'm currently in the 282 Sailfish phase of life, I previously owned a brand new 300 Marlin ('03) and actually came south on it to retire from the DC area. I honestly cant think of anything negative to say to watch for with the Marlin...she was by far the finest of many fishing vessels I've enjoyed and I had years of offshore adventures on. Be sure all systems especially high ticket items like AC, water heater and Fridge work.
Its a trade in at a local dealership. I'll ask if they can do the hull survey with a moisture meter of if that is a process they already do as part of their inspection.

Reactions: OBX Sailfish

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an 05 Marlin, best boat I've ever owned. It took around 6 months to find what I was looking for. I agree with Capnjim on everything, if or when you get one you won't regret it, good luck in your search. BTW if think Fishtails has 1 for sale.
I was actually looking for a smaller boat but this one just came in that morning for a trade in. I was at the dealershipo the day before and brought the wife to look at a different boat which she shot down rather quickly. This one wasn't on the intake lot the day before so I believe them. It was just beginning their intake inspection when we looked at it. It's more of a things falling in place than we wanted it. I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to get it though. I've heard nothing but good things.

Knot On Call

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just bought my 06 Marlin about 2 months ago. replacing hoses, pumps, going through all major systems. If it has autopilot, check the mount on the reversing pump (hidden behind the port side panel in the aft berth. Mine was rusted severly-remounted with unistrut and a clamp. look past the "shiny" stuff at the working end of things. Marlin's look like great boats, cant wait to get mine on the water. Good luck!