2006 330 Express-Aft Transom Drop in Box.

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hey Guys,

Anyone know where to look to get a aft transom drop in box. Lost mine offshore when a mate decided to use it as a bucket and drop it into the water. Called Grady none left in inventory and they don't carry stock after 5 yrs. They gave me the manufacture and they don't have any and will not make just one, which I would have expected. Anyone have any ideas on getting something to fit or where I can get a replacement.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ugh, that sucks. I think your only option is to fabricate something to fit, but the lip is pretty thin... Maybe you can borrow one, make a mold, and do a new one in fiberglass? A decent glass shop could probably do that, or could make a decent DIY project. Or maybe you can modify the opening to fit a standard trash can like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Vanity-Wastebasket-quarts-FG295300WHT/dp/B000VPBL1Q or a stainless steel hotel pan?

Reactions: Dhirsh

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you share the manufacturer by chance? These along with helm side panels appear to be made from a mold and thin plastic material. It would be interesting to share and for folks here to understand material and processes. Maybe there is an opportunity to bundle some of this type of work to make it more attractive to the manufacturer. At a minimum, maybe set a minimum lot size and advertise here to see if there is interest.

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sorry, I cant remember the manufactures name. When I had called, they said they could not make any items directly to the consumer. It would have to go through Grady White. Grady White basically wanted nothing to do with it. I would think someone or dealer scrap yard would have one around. Cant believe that there are none let in stock, Was hoping to get lucky before I go out and get one custom made.$ $$$$

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did you throw the mate off after it? ;)

Good luck in finding a replacement.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd contact the manufacturer again and see if you can convince them to sell direct. There are a lot of older boats out there and folks looking for the products they make. Stress that this is a business opportunity they are overlooking. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck finding one, I'd say it will be very tough to locate.

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
thanks guys. You'd think the money laid out on these rigs there would be some inventory on items like this. Or smarter mates. LOL

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Find someone that has one and take a mold off it To build a new one out of fiberglass. or go thru the project of making your own mold. Plan on spending 3X what you think it should cost. No easy answer unfortunately. I’m assuming you’re talking about the small corner pull out box?

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I’d also find out which other boats used that particular box. I’d be willing to bet that box fits more than one Grady model

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d also find out which other boats used that particular box. I’d be willing to bet that box fits more than one Grady model
This is an excellent point. Maybe see if a local glass guy would be willing to make a mold for you. All you really need is the opening size (L,W,D)and lip info (from the boat). I bet a guy could put together something fast that would work on a lot of boats.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Agree with FishTales. Make a duplicate drop in box out of cardboard and tape. Take your time and get it to fit right as if it were exactly like the box that you lost Only cardboard instead of plastic. Any fiberglass guy worth his salt will be able to use that to make a reverse mold and then a plug to layup a new box out of fiberglass. It wont be cheap but it will be forever ( unless you let your mate get ahold of it again.) LOL.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Agree with FishTales. Make a duplicate drop in box out of cardboard and tape. Take your time and get it to fit right as if it were exactly like the box that you lost Only cardboard instead of plastic. Any fiberglass guy worth his salt will be able to use that to make a reverse mold and then a plug to layup a new box out of fiberglass. It wont be cheap but it will be forever ( unless you let your mate get ahold of it again.) LOL.
Remember that the bottom of the box will have to be very slightly narrower in all dimensions from the top. It has to have a taper to come in and out and it has to have a taper to be pulled from a fiberglass mold. If the top is 12” X 8” the bottom needs to be 11 3/4” X 7/3/4 ”

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If it like my 2007 330 box, it isn't symmetric, but a weird L shape, so you'll need a sample to mold a new one.

Reactions: Dhirsh

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Awesome tips guys. TY Glacierbaze for the lead put a call into them. got my fingers crossed. Would make things easier if he has one.