2006 Marlin Throttle/Shift cable replacement

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I changed all 4 cables yesterday. I couldn't find any specific guidance on the Marlin so hopefully this helps someone else out. It took me 5 or 6 hours but that included pulling more panels off than I needed too, trying to figure out how to disassemble the throttle, etc. I emailed Grady White and they said I needed 24 and 26 foot cables so that's what I bought. They were the perfect size and exactly what came out of the boat. The only panels I needed off were one by the bunk under the stairs, the corner assembly under the throttle, and the hatch in front of the generator.
IMG_9490.jpgIMG_9491.jpg
There is a tube that starts at the fwd panel in the bunk and runs to the generator area. I saw this and felt a lot better about doing this at home. The first thing I did was remove the little access panel on the motor and free up the wires routed through the grommet. I disconnected the throttle and shift cables from the motor and fed them back toward the helm to get some slack. I had to cut a few zip ties near the generator. I pulled the 704 remote control out and took it apart. 2 screws on the bottom and a few plastic tabs hold the plastic cover on. I had 4 screws with nuts on the backside that hold it on the dash. There are three screws that hold the two throttles together. One at the bottom and two at the top. It took me forever to figure which screws to remove.

IMG_9460.jpgIMG_9462.jpg
There is a small plastic piece that is held on with 2 screws and then you see the cable ends. I tried to match the cables I was installing with the ones I was removing. You can see the shift cable threads through the plastic end but not the throttle cable. I used fishing line (60lb test if you're curious) to tie the cable together and used electrical tape over it. I had my wife feed the new cable down through the console and past the floor where the first hangup could be.
IMG_9464.jpg
One kid went down to the bunk and guided the cable transition through the tube and the other watched for anything at the tube exit and in the generator bay.
IMG_9494.jpgCables going through or around the floor.
IMG_9492.jpg Tube entrance. The black cables are the new ones.

Once I had both cables for the starboard side through I connected them at the controller and then did the other side. Reinstalled the controller and connected everything back up. I still have to adjust the throttles and put all the panels back but over all this was a pretty easy job. I'm no expert but hopefully this helps someone out there.

seasick

Reaction score
Nice work and probably really rewarding.
Honestly, did any parts fall out of the control while you were disassembling the cable ends:)

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It was rewarding. I was really careful with the control. The only thing that fell was the nut that holds the bottom screw to hold them together. My biggest fear was trying to save a few hundred dollars by doing it myself and costing me a thousand dollars because I messed it up.

teaklejr

Reaction score
What was the reason you replaced them?

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What was the reason you replaced them?
Starboard throttle was stiffer than the port for a while now. Last trip out I couldn’t get it above 3,000 RPM’s. I took the rubber boot that goes into the starboard engine off and found the throttle cable busted and rusty. Added the before picture.

Attachments

• 2DB421ED-E1BD-447D-8525-DA44F388B4D2.jpeg
    2DB421ED-E1BD-447D-8525-DA44F388B4D2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: teaklejr

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Same problem I had with mine. If you have to pull the binnacle apart might as well do them all.

Reactions: Goose

Fishtales

Reaction score
Classic GW wiring there. What a horror show.