2006 seafarer navigation bulbs

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trying to replace my navigation and mast bulbs but cant read replacement bulb size

does any no I think it says __r10w 20v

any help on either would be great,

thanks DW

G8RDave

Reaction score
I bought these from SuperBright LED's for my front nav lights. "1142-x15-xV: 1142 LED Bulb - Single Intensity Dual Contact 15 LED 1142-W15: 12VDC Cool White". Much brighter than oem.

Dang, or was it these? Going through my old orders I may have gotten them mixed up. "WLED-WHP5 Cool White"

seasick

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
I bought these from SuperBright LED's for my front nav lights. "1142-x15-xV: 1142 LED Bulb - Single Intensity Dual Contact 15 LED 1142-W15: 12VDC Cool White". Much brighter than oem.

Dang, or was it these? Going through my old orders I may have gotten them mixed up. "WLED-WHP5 Cool White"

I read a while back an interesting article about replacing nav bulbs with LEDs. If you lenses are colored, using white LEDs is not recommended although there are many out there. The reason is that the light output once filtered by the lens may be less than the specifications call for. The better approach is to have clear lenses and nav bulbs that are colored appropriately.
Granted the white bulb behind a colored lens may look ok when close to it but is it bright enough at a mile or two as required?
Personally, I would replace the entire nav fixture with led fixtures.

seasick

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
Mine are much brighter than they were stock, even with the lenses on.

I believe you but the reason for the caution made sense. Although the lamps are often 'brighter', they can have different spectral content than incandescent. So if the amount of green wavelength or red wavelength light is less than an incandescent, the output when filtered through a colored lens can be less than desired.
Just being the engineer.

seasick

Reaction score
I did some reading again to better understand the issues and learned something important. A cool white LED bulb will work poorly in a nav fixture with colored lenses but a warm white bulb may work OK.

I also found an article about the topic
http://www.hellamarine.com/en/blog/news ... lamps.html?

Just another opinion on the topic.