2006 Tournament

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Hey Folks, I recently purchased a 2006 Tournament with a Yamaha 250 motor. It's always been stowed out of the water and under cover since birth... but, it is a salt water boat. I've been reading up on one transom issue after another. I don't see any cracks or flexing... should I be concerned about the transom because it is 15 years old?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In my opinion... "years old" is not a vaild reason to be concerned. Give everything a real good look and sounding - if you find something that looks suspicious, then THAT'S a reason to be concnerned... or at least get it checked out further. You're looking for things that could allow water to enter the transom core.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hey Folks, I recently purchased a 2006 Tournament with a Yamaha 250 motor. It's always been stowed out of the water and under cover since birth... but, it is a salt water boat. I've been reading up on one transom issue after another. I don't see any cracks or flexing... should I be concerned about the transom because it is 15 years old?
Keep an eye on the metal cap on the transom if it starts to split it can lead to issues, for now enjoy. Tournaments are great boat

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can tap the transom with the handle end of a heavier screwdriver and listen for dull thuds. Inspect closely on the inside and near through bolts/screws.
while on the hard, tilt the engine up and put some weight on it looking for any flex in the transom. It’s something to look out for and fix at any sign of issues, but otherwise congrats on your new boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Are you talking about a Tournament 225 with a bracket or is this a boat with a eurotransom and notched motor mount? If it's a 225 on a bracket and the the bracket is dry you likely don't have any concerns at all. The issue primarily arises from the joint between the cap and the hull where Grady finishes it off an aluminum strip sealed with 4200 or what ever Grady uses. That joint flexes and over time the sealant can fail and you get water intrusion there. On bracketed boats the seam is straight across near the top significantly above the water line and thus no issue. I am guessing you bought either 225 or the 255 based on a single f250 motor . The 275 often cane with twin 150s. I don't think I have ever seen one with a single 250. congrats on the boat and enjoy it!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
It has Gotta be a 225 the Max HP for a 192 is 200HP at least it was on most years and when I bought mine in 1994
I had a 192 and I know it's not model .lol. The 225 is a kick butt boat. I almost bought one. Wife liked the cabin of the 228 for the kids. No regrets either way.

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Are you talking about a Tournament 225 with a bracket or is this a boat with a eurotransom and notched motor mount? If it's a 225 on a bracket and the the bracket is dry you likely don't have any concerns at all. The issue primarily arises from the joint between the cap and the hull where Grady finishes it off an aluminum strip sealed with 4200 or what ever Grady uses. That joint flexes and over time the sealant can fail and you get water intrusion there. On bracketed boats the seam is straight across near the top significantly above the water line and thus no issue. I am guessing you bought either 225 or the 255 based on a single f250 motor . The 275 often cane with twin 150s. I don't think I have ever seen one with a single 250. congrats on the boat and enjoy it!
Yes, it is a Tournament 225 that has a swim platform / bracket. Thank you for the info!

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I had a 192 and I know it's not model .lol. The 225 is a kick butt boat. I almost bought one. Wife liked the cabin of the 228 for the kids. No regrets either way.
It is a 225 Tournament with a swim platform / bracket.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
It is a 225 Tournament with a swim platform / bracket.
Unless there are a bunch of poorly sealed accessories like transducers, underwater lights and such screwed to your stern , it is highly unlikely you have a wet transom on that boat. The majority of the wet transoms start with that aluminum strip seals failing and water finding it's way in there at the motor mounts. If your bracket is dry the way they bolt it to the boat the bolts and penetration through the hull should also be dry as they bolt to the inside of the bracket. You should enjoy years of worry free boating on that 225.

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Unless there are a bunch of poorly sealed accessories like transducers, underwater lights and such screwed to your stern , it is highly unlikely you have a wet transom on that boat. The majority of the wet transoms start with that aluminum strip seals failing and water finding it's way in there at the motor mounts. If your bracket is dry the way they bolt it to the boat the bolts and penetration through the hulk should also be dry. You should enjoy years of worry free boating on that 225.
Thanks for the info! I will inspect the areas you suggested.