2006 Yamaha f250 Issues

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey All, I need some advice/ thoughts on this one. I have a 1991 GW Tournament 225 that I've owned for the last 10 years. 2 years ago, I repowered with a 2006 f250 engine. The compression tested well in all cylinders and the engine ran well. I ran it for the summer and then one day came off plane too quickly and water went up the exhaust and I damaged a lower cylinder. Insurance covered the damage and because of the newness to me of the engine I decided to have it rebuilt instead of repower. I dropped the engine in October at the shop and the deal was to have the engine done and boat ready by early May for sea trials. Fast forward to this year. Shop was 3 months late in delivering my engine,. Original quote was $8,500 for the work but I also put in an additional $3,000 for new gauges, binnacle, wiring harness and ECU. I got the boat back on a Thursday in August and after running a sea trial with the mechanic, everything worked well. 3.5 hours of engine time later, a connecting rod on the lower cylinder on the other side of the engine snapped and blew through the powerhead on the opposite side of the one from last season. I'm trying to figure out how to determine if the shop is liable as they are now avowing they didn't touch this side of the engine. Also, do you all think I should just chuck this engine and go new? I'm also trying to decide if I should even keep the boat. It has original fuel tanks on it and they'd need to get replaced if I move forward with a re-power. I've had nothing but bad luck with Yamaha but if I re-power I'd probably go that way since I have brand new gauges, cables and binnacle. Just trying to figure out what to do here. I love the boat but it's causing nothing but frustration and money. If I ditch the old engine, any thoughts on what to do with it? I'd hate to sell it to one of the used engine places for $500 given all the new parts on it. Thanks!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A rebuild generally involves 6 new pistons and if you had a hydro lock, the connecting rods and bearings should have been replaced as well. Especially for what they charged you.

Most rebuilders provide at least a 60 day warranty. It sounds like you were screwed over. If they really didn't touch one side of the engine during a rebuild, they really screwed you over.

The internal parts on a blown engine aren't worth much even though they might be new. But the rest of the engine can be parted out for a lot more than $500 if you sell them yourself. The best deal would be to trade it in on a new engine. You might consider another brand than Yamaha since the new V6s are hard to get right now. I'd look into a Suzuki and see what a dealer will give you in trade for the blown Yamaha with lots of new parts. You might be surprised.

The fuel tanks would have needed to be replaced in any case. If you have a freshwater boat in good condition otherwise, it might be worth it to get a new engine and tanks. When you consider that a new boat would run you close to $100,000, keeping an old one going makes sense.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Doc Stressor. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, sounds like you threw good money after bad, we've all done it at one time or another. If your hull is solid and fits your needs, I think you may be better off with new tanks and new power. On the other hand, not too many people have roughly $30K laying around to purchase a new engine and new tanks. I also suspect your reluctant to invest all this time and money into a 1991 boat.

There are no easy answers here. In the end you have to decide whats best for you. I suggest you at least get prices on a new outboard and a new fuel tank, then make your decision.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd work them and get the to cover what you can. Rebuild and sell if it makes sense.