2007 208 + Yamaha 250 4S

Lori M

Reaction score
My husband and I would like to know more about a 250 yamaha 4S mounted on a 208. We are considering a leftover purchase and, were wondering how the big motor will effect the static trim, drainage, and performance. We also ask if we could have input from owners of older 208's with 4S power. Thank you.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lori: Welcome to the forum!

I have not run a 208 with an F250, but I can offer some insight from the (1995) 208 I did own for ten years. I had a two-stroke 150 on the back and thought the boat was powered okay for all my purposes except putting four scuba divers and gear on board.

With the 150, I needed to use trim tabs to keep the nose down in a bumpy chop. I would have some reservations as to whether the tabs would be as effective with the weight of an F225 or F250 on the back. Others with a 208 with an F225 on the back may be able to anser that.

As far as power goes, the F250 has considerably more power than the F225 with about the same weight. An F250 pushes my 258 along very well and I suspect a 208 would nearly fly with an F250. As a plug for the F250, I just went over 700 hours on mine and it has been flawless.

If you frequently carry a heavy load or you generally boat in calm seas, then you'll likely be very happy with an F250. But I think this comes at some trade-off to be able to keep the bow down while just barely on plane on a sloppy chop.

We kept our 208 for ten years and loved it. Good luck with your decision and I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Rob

smontgomery

Reaction score
Lori:

I have a 1995 208 as well. Love it. I'm considering a 4stroke repower and doing a little research.

My original 1995 Evinrude OceanPro still runs like a champ but I have three young kids and continued reliability has become an issue. I'm looking at the Yamaha F200.

Several factors to consider as well as my unprofessional opinion:

I think a 250 anything is overkill for a 208. In reading the previous post the term "fly" comes to mind. I think that may, in fact, become a reality for you with all of those horses combined with all of that extra weight.

When these boats were originally designed, most of the 2s motors on them weighed less than 400 lbs.

My Evinrude OceanPro 175 weighs 370lbs. The F250 you are considering weighs 604 lbs at a minimum and probably closer to 618 lbs. That's a huge difference.

The F200 weighs in at 583 lbs. Still, a huge jump from 370 lbs.

We're doing a little experiment this weekend with ours. We're going to have a 210 lb friend of mine sit on top of the Evinrude OceanPro and see where the scuppers end up. If the scupper drains are at or below the waterline, with just the 210 lb friend atop the motor then, we'll have to look at other options for a repower. That will be the tell all that it's just too darn heavy.

If the drains are too close or below the waterline with the just the added weight of an F200, it will simply be too much weight. Add full fuel, bait, gear, beer, food, cooler full of fish plus some friends or family to share all of that with and it's my opinion that you'll be asking for trouble. Especialy if you have 210 lb friends like I do. :)

The newer boats are being designed a little differently and I hear that Grady is moving the batteries forward and other tricks to compensate for the added weight of the new 4s's. Yours may be ok but I would definitely be on the lookout.

I think adding ballast forward is a horrible idea. However, we need some input from more nautically technical minds than I.

I'd have the dealer/seller put that boat in the water with the F250, full tank of gas and a couple of friends. See for yourself. Take some pics of the transom at the waterline and SHARE!

However simple our test is, it's the best determining factor that I could come up with and it's also received the seal of approval from the folks at Grady White. I'll post the results once the tests have been verified.

I'd certainly welcome other opinions and will look forward to much stimulating conversation on the matter. If I was an expert, I wouldn't need this terrific forum. It's a great place to listen and learn.

Happy New Year.

Steve

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Great topic.

I had this posted in another post. Thought it would also fit here.

I am getting ready to replace my '91 175 TXRP with a 2000 225 OX-66. I got a sweet deal on the 2000. While picking it up from the shipper this past Friday I asked how much did it weigh. Answer...650 pounds which included the pallet . According to what I've read, my 175 is suppose to weigh around 480 pounds and if my math is correct that is an additional 150 pounds (subtracting 25 pounds for the pallet weight). Grady White recommends for this year boat at staying around the 500 pound mark. I'm a little concerned about the weight since I also have a 15 HP Honda kicker motor mounted on the transom.

Do the 225 OX-66 really weigh that much?

Is this too much weight for my boat? It will be mounted on a Grady Drive bracket.

I'd like to run the OX-66 for at least a couple of years. By then if I haven't gotten the itch to get a BIGGER boat I'll most likely go with a new F150. I do like my Overnighter because I can launch and recover the boat by myself and I can dring it home to work on it.

Thanks

Heavy Duty

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Heavy, go to the Yamaha website and see the owners manual for your motor, there is no charge for this. The weight and other specs are in the manual.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I owned a 208 with a SWS II 200 2 stroke, and now have the same hull, different deck, with an F200. The F200 on my 205 works very well. the boat planes easily, trims well, and does not have any problems with water on the deck.

I tested the scuppers this week with my boat loaded with fuel (approx 70 gallons), water and ice, 2 fishermen at the stern, and lines hung up with waves slapping the stern. I tried for about 10 minutes to free tackle hung on a snag with the wind blowing, rain pouring down and a good chop.

We never had any water on the deck, other than the rain going out of the scuppers.

The 205 runs level without needing to use the tabs and will plane down to around 13 knots with the use of tabs, without wallowing and falling off.

The 205T does have the fuel tank moved very far forward to balance the V6 4 strokes. My tank's rear wall is amidships and extends foward between the consoles. On the 208 I assume that the tank has not been moved since the bulkhead for the cuddy would prevent this.

The weight of the cuddy forward may balance the big 4 stroke.

The 208 is a great boat, and I'd own one with an F250. I wish my 205 had one. However I'd like to see a 208 full of fuel and water to confirm that it is balanced well with the weight. Otherwise it should perform very well.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On the 208, what's the max HP rating for the boat under consideration?

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
BobP said:
Heavy, go to the Yamaha website and see the owners manual for your motor, there is no charge for this. The weight and other specs are in the manual.

Thanks Bob. I'll check it out.

:D
HD

gw204

Reaction score
Heavy Duty said:
BobP said:

HD

494 lbs. :)

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Heavy Duty said:
BobP said:

HD

494 lbs. :)

Yep. That is what I got. For a little bit there I thought I'd bought something I couldn't use. Makes me feel better.

Went to the Yamy site and down-loaded the OM. Got some good stuff in there. I also ordered the maint. manual. I have a feeling both will come in handy.

I do have a pilots lic. so if you guys happen to see an Overnighter on the Cheasapeake airborne you'll know it's me :lol: .

Thanks again guys.

HD

Lori M

Reaction score
Thank you for the nice welcome to the site and, the responses. We are going to look at the boat in person a week from saturday and decide if it is for us. The boat is rated for this power but we are concerned about the transom weight effecting the boat. We have always owned smaller boats and do not have any tenure with a boat of this size. What brought the transom weight to mind was the fact we did not see any other 208 with this size motor. It is Yamaha pre rig and is blessed by Grady from the factory but, we felt it would be best to ask site members and owners for input. We will continue our reasearch and ask for a water test prior to completeing the transaction. I will keep you informed and take pictures. Thank you again for all the response. It is of great value.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lori M said:
Thank you for the nice welcome to the site and, the responses. We are going to look at the boat in person a week from saturday and decide if it is for us. The boat is rated for this power but we are concerned about the transom weight effecting the boat. We have always owned smaller boats and do not have any tenure with a boat of this size. What brought the transom weight to mind was the fact we did not see any other 208 with this size motor. It is Yamaha pre rig and is blessed by Grady from the factory but, we felt it would be best to ask site members and owners for input. We will continue our reasearch and ask for a water test prior to completeing the transaction. I will keep you informed and take pictures. Thank you again for all the response. It is of great value.

Lori: Keep in mind that the F200, F225 and F250 all weigh about the same. While you don't see many F250's on 208's, The ride quality should be about the same. Also, much as I love my F250, keep in mind that it requires 89 octane fuel, while the F200/F225 uses 87 octane.

Rob

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Grady went from a 5/8" transom now to 1-1/2", they also went with bigger stringers for the weight

call and ask