2007 282 with F250s performance

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I've been doing a couple shakedown trips with my new rig, fresh and salt water, calm conditions.

Two of us onboard, full fuel tanks (no idea whats in the fresh water tank). I'm coming from a tin 22' jetboat made to run in 4"of water, so I have a big learning curve to go through.

First couple of trips were tabs all the way up and motors trimmed all the way down. Props are 15.25 x 19 Saltwater Series. With a bunch of the bow in the water, she stayed at plane at 4000-4100 rpm, 18 gph, 28-30 mph. WOT was only 5400 rpm, 40+ gph, 40-41 mph.

Had a couple buddies laugh at me for not trimming the motors up, so I did that in the Sound, still calm. I trimmed up about 4-5 tics on the indicators (nearly 50% or so) and I just didn't like the sound. So I trimmed down to 3 tics and she still planed at 4000 rpm, 16-18 gph, 32-33 mph. WOT was 5800 and 5700, about 40 gph, 46 mph.

When I told that to my buddy, he laughed even more. Saying, "that high pitched sound is the motors running where they like too". Can't remember if he called me a little girl or not. His point was that 4 strokes like the higher RPMs and I really should see 6k rpm.

I am wondering if this all makes sense to those of you with way more experience and if I should trim the motors up even more than the 3 tics. Do my numbers give with what you've experienced?

And, I will be doing lots of tuna trips outta western WA. Usually heading into a 2-4' SW swell on the way out and it following us on the way back. Wind waves of 1-2 are pretty common. I know I won't have many days actually running 30+ mph. 4-5 guys, about 3/4 tote of ice, and hopefuly 20-30 20-30# albacore on the way back. Wondering if I'm propped right for those conditions.

Thanks.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'm going through the "finding the right prop" exercise right now. Among the things I've learned so far are that the motors are rated to turn in a range of RPM at full throttle (WOT). When a boat is lightly loaded (few people, less fuel, no ice and bait, etc.), you want your RPMs to turn toward the higher end of the range so that when you're loaded for bear, you still turn RPMs in the range, obviously in the lower end of it. Note that these numbers are with the boat trimmed out so it's running at its optimum. Your own numbers show what trimming can do.

If you have a fuel meter, trim your motors so you obtain the best RPM/speed/MPG combination, regardless of the number of tics you see. If you don't, then adjust your trim at a given RPM, say 4k, to obtain the highest speed you can.

I don't know the WOT numbers for your motors but what you posted trimmed up sounds pretty good. I suggest you ignore your buddies jabs and go by the specs on your motors. I think you're right where you should be.

Gary 93 Gulfstream

HaleNalu

Reaction score
WOT range is 5000-6000. That being said, you want your WOT range with your fully loaded boat to preferably be over 5500 RPM. Light load, you should be able to hit 6000-6100 RPM's.

Your buddy is right about the engine sound being normal. In awhile you will be able to hear 3 different sounds... The sound the motors make trimmed down too far for optimum running, the trim sound at optimum, and the trip too far up.

Too low is deeper sounding and as you trim up your RPM's will raise. You will know that you have trimmed too far when you start to hear noise that varies and sounds like air sucking. The true test is actually to be able to visually see the anti-ventilation plate being just at the same angle as the water flowing past it.

The tick marks on the gauges work, but nothing is works as well as hearing how your boat engines sound. It will take some time to get use to, but running the boat you will be able to start to pick up on the sounds.

The 19 SSII props are good props for your boat, and for the water out here. I have run the Loomis 282 with F225's and 19 SSII and they run very well, though perhaps just a tad on the low side. The F250's will be fine with them.

As far as the ticks go... you very well may be adjusting your trim half way up. You want to trim your motors up to the point that they just start to ventilate, then back down a bit so they don't. For adjusting the trim of your boat, use the tabs. Motors are designed for forward thrust, not for trim of the boat. Any propulsion thrust that is used to push the bow down is wasted energy. The more efficient use is to use that thrust forward and use tabs to lower the bow.

On the rough water days out here you will trim your engines down just a little bit more so they do not ventilate as you pitch over the tops of waves.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. It took a while to get used to listening to the North River to know where to run her. but once I got it down, I never bothered looking at the tach, I could just feel and her here when she was at the right place. The high RPM sounds, not what I wanted to hear with the jet (sounded way too much like gobs and gobs of fuel disappearing for no good reason).

WE're hitting the Sound Saturday for crabbing, so I'll get to play with her more and get a better feel/ear for trimming her up and down. We'll see if we can get to 6k.

I hope this wind stops so we can get out at Westport. I know there are albacore just waiting to die.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Dean265 said:
I couldn't agree more! Stop wind stop!!! See you out there....

Wow, another PacNW, and Oly no less. My office is there and have a rental place near Luhr Beach. Howdy

Dean265

Reaction score
Yes, Oly for us, the 265 is in a slip at westport, we have been on and off a lot killing salmon.

When do you normally make your first tuna trip? First of August?

wdlfbio

Reaction score
we propsected WP earlier this month (9th) and put 5 on the deck (my buddy's 24' Hewescraft). Had two others come unbuttoned. It got a little snotty on the way in and stayed that way! Don't know when offshore will change.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Ditto what Mike said above about using the trim tabs as the main trim for your boat.

I have the 305 Express and I put my tabs down at least half way before I put the peddle to the motors. If I'm really loaded down for an extended trip then I will put them down 80% or more to start. I put the motor's all the way down until on plane and then trim them out to the second or third mark on the trim gauge. As Mike said they make what I call a happy sound when they are in their sweet spot.

If you notice different readings on your motor trim between the gauges then you need to adjust them both to zero when fully lowered.

With those 15.25 props you should be able to hit 5800 to 6000 WOT.