2007 305 express input

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello going to look at a 2007 305 express with twin 250 Yamahas with 450 hours, boat has been lift kept since new. Does not have a generator or bow thruster but from pics looks very nice. I do not want a generator so that’s a plus but wonder if the lack of bow thruster is a negative. Would like any input on anything I should check on with the initial inspection before proceeding to a full survey. Wife and I don’t really fish but love the look of these boats and Grady Whites in general. We currently have a 1997 F26 Tigercat that has been perfect for the last 12 years but want a more friendly boat to sleep on and stay out overnights on. Any input would be great.

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hello,
My wife and I purchased a 2007 305 Express with twin Yamahas with 500 hours back in the fall of 2015. we love the boat in every way! we had the engines scoped for any sign of corrosion and the engine tech guy connected the engines to his laptop and was able to print out all the different RPM ranges the engines were run per hour. The surveys went well and we found only some relatively minor issues over the next couple of years. We replaced both the cabin deck hatch and the hatch over the helm area. Apparently Grady White never applied sealant when they installed the hatch. Also, we found some water in the cabin and traced the source to a perfectly drilled cutout for an inspection plate behind the forward cabin cushion under the tv that opened into the anchor line storage compartment. No one ever installed the inspection plate after the hole was drilled!! One of the first things I also had done was to install a cleat near the anchor chain to help relieve the pressure on the windlass. I found the Grady White cleats too far away from the anchor line and at a weird angle (see photo). Our boat did not come with a bow thruster, but we had one installed for about $8,000. While not necessary, it sure helps me in tight dockage areas and when the current if flowing hard on the Saco River in Maine. I also find it useful in spinning the boat quickly when we are fighting a large shark etc. I do see plenty of Marlins (same hulls) with no bow thrusters also. I was also looking for a boat without a generator, but this one came with one. I only use it sparingly here in the souther coast of Maine, but it comes in handy for my wife to brew a cup of coffee etc while we are cruising. IMG_0824.jpeg

The only major item the surveyor found was some cracking on the water intake hose from the AC pump in the stern to the ac unit. So we had that replace right away.

good luck!
Frank

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello,
My wife and I purchased a 2007 305 Express with twin Yamahas with 500 hours back in the fall of 2015. we love the boat in every way! we had the engines scoped for any sign of corrosion and the engine tech guy connected the engines to his laptop and was able to print out all the different RPM ranges the engines were run per hour. The surveys went well and we found only some relatively minor issues over the next couple of years. We replaced both the cabin deck hatch and the hatch over the helm area. Apparently Grady White never applied sealant when they installed the hatch. Also, we found some water in the cabin and traced the source to a perfectly drilled cutout for an inspection plate behind the forward cabin cushion under the tv that opened into the anchor line storage compartment. No one ever installed the inspection plate after the hole was drilled!! One of the first things I also had done was to install a cleat near the anchor chain to help relieve the pressure on the windlass. I found the Grady White cleats too far away from the anchor line and at a weird angle (see photo). Our boat did not come with a bow thruster, but we had one installed for about $8,000. While not necessary, it sure helps me in tight dockage areas and when the current if flowing hard on the Saco River in Maine. I also find it useful in spinning the boat quickly when we are fighting a large shark etc. I do see plenty of Marlins (same hulls) with no bow thrusters also. I was also looking for a boat without a generator, but this one came with one. I only use it sparingly here in the souther coast of Maine, but it comes in handy for my wife to brew a cup of coffee etc while we are cruising. View attachment 9920

The only major item the surveyor found was some cracking on the water intake hose from the AC pump in the stern to the ac unit. So we had that replace right away.

good luck!
Frank

Thanks for the reply, do you do overnights on the boat? If so how comfortable is the forward berth, are you able to stretch out or do you use the aft berth? What speed do you cruise at, what rpm's and about what is the fuel burn at cruise?

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hi,
We usually cruise at 27 knots at 4600-4700 RPM. Our fuel burn (depending on fuel load and number of people) is about 1.1 miles per gallon when loaded with fuel etc. Fuel burn at lighter loads is 1.2 miles per gallon.
So, we bought the boat with the intention of doing overnights, like week long trips to Boothbay etc, but we never did because we adopted some rescue cats that need our attention. So we do lots of day trips (fishing and cruising up Casco Bay in Maine).
We still love having the cabin layout though. The mid berth area, we use for storage for items like spare deck chairs and for a table we made. We entertain a lot at the dock and my wife does a fair amount of cooking in the cabin. I had a table made for when we entertain. We remove the helm chair and replace it with this table (stored in the mid berth area when not in use). See photo.
IMG_1436.jpgIMG_1437.jpg

Sea Hox

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello going to look at a 2007 305 express with twin 250 Yamahas with 450 hours, boat has been lift kept since new. Does not have a generator or bow thruster but from pics looks very nice. I do not want a generator so that’s a plus but wonder if the lack of bow thruster is a negative. Would like any input on anything I should check on with the initial inspection before proceeding to a full survey. Wife and I don’t really fish but love the look of these boats and Grady Whites in general. We currently have a 1997 F26 Tigercat that has been perfect for the last 12 years but want a more friendly boat to sleep on and stay out overnights on. Any input would be great.
Hi SeaHox here replying to your bow thruster question. I have a 30 Marlin same motors with bow thruster option worth $12K I am told to have installed. I use it whenever I am in docking or departing marinas and any other scenarios where I need to shift slightly and it’s a great option. I don’t think if your an experienced boater with twin engines you would rely on it as much as I had having moved up from a single engine boat. Good Luck Great boat with /without thruster...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Just finished my second full season with my 305. I use the boat for primarily fishing but will do some overnights on it too. I have both the generator and bow thruster options on my boat. The bow thruster is a nice feature especially when the wind and current are working against you while docking. Its also nice when fighting a fish or adjusting your drift. When overnighting my wife and myself will sleep on the forward berth and use the other bunk for storage. The both of us are avg size and fit fine up there. On overnight fishing trips we will use both bunks. I added a mattress pads on top of the cushions and it is plenty comfortable to sleep. My boat has twin f300s and will typically cruise at around 30 knts and burn roughly 1.1mpg. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

If your looking at an 07 I would definitely consider having the midsections replaced if they haven't already been done. You should also have the mechanic check around the thermostat housing on the engines as this can be another area of corrosion on these older yamahas. With a 12 year old boat check all the normal things hoses, wire connections etc.

Reactions: frankm

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the table. The only issue is the tight helm area. If you are good with it, it is a solid boat. On the same hull as the Marlin and 30' CC.

HMBJack

Reaction score
If you and your wife plan to do overnights, you might reconsider getting one with a generator. And, while you're pondering that, I'd also suggest you find one with a bow thruster. These two items are very handy and add value to the boat. I also have rigged my 330 with a helm pedestal table like that (though mine isn't as pretty ). Makes my 33 seem like a 40 footer during Cocktail Hour...

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I cannot comment much on the 30, but can add some comments on the 330. We have a 2009 with twin 350's, bow thruster, generator and cockpit heat/air. If you plan to overnight on the hook, a generator is a must. The bow thruster is nice, not a necessity. I try to use mine each time we use the boat, just to keep it clean and working. If nothing else, it is great for getting the Admiral to each side of the slip when she is working the bow lines. We do the cockpit table deal when entertaining, but with the extra large helm chair, it is a PITA getting the seat on and off. The large helm seat is very comfortable, but makes its very tight in the cockpit. I wish there was a way to make it slide farther forward when not in use, because it makes getting by very awkward. I have found keeping it slightly turned helps a little.

With that being said, the Admiral is wanting something with a larger cabin so we can start doing extended trips, so we are boat looking again.
Mike

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I’m looking at buying a 2007 3005 Express. Can anyone on this thread comment on the access to the helm console electronics? Is there a removable panel or does the console tilt out? This boat has the concealed panel that raises and lowers.

Also, how do you access the air conditioning unit behind the galley?

Update: I bought this 305 Express. Haven’t taken delivery yet but I’m anxiously awaiting delivery this week.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
For the helm electronics, there is an electric ram hat raises and lowers the electronics panel. There is a removable pin on that ram. If you remove it, the panel should tilt up giving you access. Additionally by removing the panel in the head over the toilet that will give you access to the wiring going to the electronics and to the wiring pathways throughout the boat. The HVAC can be accessed by removing the port side panel in the mid cabin berth. additional access can probably be had by removing the fridge( I have never needed to access it but that is where I would start). In both Gradys expresses I have owned there is pretty good access to most things by just removing/unscrewing the panels.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello,
My wife and I purchased a 2007 305 Express with twin Yamahas with 500 hours back in the fall of 2015. we love the boat in every way! we had the engines scoped for any sign of corrosion and the engine tech guy connected the engines to his laptop and was able to print out all the different RPM ranges the engines were run per hour. The surveys went well and we found only some relatively minor issues over the next couple of years. We replaced both the cabin deck hatch and the hatch over the helm area. Apparently Grady White never applied sealant when they installed the hatch. Also, we found some water in the cabin and traced the source to a perfectly drilled cutout for an inspection plate behind the forward cabin cushion under the tv that opened into the anchor line storage compartment. No one ever installed the inspection plate after the hole was drilled!! One of the first things I also had done was to install a cleat near the anchor chain to help relieve the pressure on the windlass. I found the Grady White cleats too far away from the anchor line and at a weird angle (see photo). Our boat did not come with a bow thruster, but we had one installed for about $8,000. While not necessary, it sure helps me in tight dockage areas and when the current if flowing hard on the Saco River in Maine. I also find it useful in spinning the boat quickly when we are fighting a large shark etc. I do see plenty of Marlins (same hulls) with no bow thrusters also. I was also looking for a boat without a generator, but this one came with one. I only use it sparingly here in the souther coast of Maine, but it comes in handy for my wife to brew a cup of coffee etc while we are cruising. View attachment 9920

good luck!
Frank
How hard a job was adding the pulpit cleat? We just purchased a 2007 Marlin which is currently in storage at Port Harbor Marine (yep, Mainers here). I have identified the exact same issue and adding a cleat is on my list.

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
How hard a job was adding the pulpit cleat? We just purchased a 2007 Marlin which is currently in storage at Port Harbor Marine (yep, Mainers here). I have identified the exact same issue and adding a cleat is on my list.
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you’ll love your 305 express as I do mine.
My cleat was installed by Mike Totman up there at Port Harbor Marine. He knows my boat better than me a does a great job keeping the boat in great shape. Mike told me he was able to install the cleat pretty easily by accessing the anchor line hatch to the right of the cleat. If you prefer to do it yourself, he can guide you.

Reactions: Viking88rd

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Can you easily see the ram pin when you raise the electronics panel? I didn’t notice it.

Yes, you should be able to see it. That being said, I'm going by memory as my boat is currently sitting covered for the winter and I have not had the need to pull the pin out to raise up the electronic box as I still have the same Garmin units that I bought the boat with.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you’ll love your 305 express as I do mine.
My cleat was installed by Mike Totman up there at Port Harbor Marine. He knows my boat better than me a does a great job keeping the boat in great shape. Mike told me he was able to install the cleat pretty easily by accessing the anchor line hatch to the right of the cleat. If you prefer to do it yourself, he can guide you.

Access is doable through the anchor hatch but hopefully you have a long thin arm and are flexible. Just out of curiosity how come you didn't like running the anchor line through the chocks to the cleat? I do a fair amount of anchoring, and although not a perfect situation it seems to work. The center cleat does look like a good idea.

I love the helm table and have been thinking of doing something similar myself. What are the dimensions of yours?

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Yes, you should be able to see it. That being said, I'm going by memory as my boat is currently sitting covered for the winter and I have not had the need to pull the pin out to raise up the electronic box as I still have the same Garmin units that I bought the boat with.
It is easy to remove the pin. Last year I had some repairs done to my electronics and I easily removed the pin and held the box high while my electronics guy did the repairs.

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Access is doable through the anchor hatch but hopefully you have a long thin arm and are flexible. Just out of curiosity how come you didn't like running the anchor line through the chocks to the cleat? I do a fair amount of anchoring, and although not a perfect situation it seems to work. The center cleat does look like a good idea.

I love the helm table and have been thinking of doing something similar myself. What are the dimensions of yours?
I don’t have the dimensions with me now. The table is in winter storage. When I put the boat back in it he water in May I could get the dimensions for you. I didn’t like the idea of running the anchor line thru the chock and over to the side cleat. I preferred to have the anchor line straight from the roller to the cleat, especially on windy days. I didn’t want to worry about the line popping out of the chocK also.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks! I think I will have them do it during spring commissioning.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Hi Frank,
I think we may be neighbors currently at Port Harbor Marine. Our Marlin, I think is on stands right beside your Express. Was at boat today and will be back tomorrow.
-Rusty