2007 305 Express Outriggers

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have just purchased a 2007 305 Express which came without outriggers and the welded in frame support. Has anyone installed some sidewinder or Taco rigger brackets on one of these. I have bought the sidewinde backing plates but I am not sure if this is enough. Welding in a plate is not a choice.

teaklejr

Reaction score
No help on outriggers but you will love the boat. We just got our 305 last July and could not be happier. Ours came with the Lee wishbone outriggers, i love the look of them but had to take them off. We have to go under 2 bridges when we leave and it gets to be pain to lower them.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I installed Taco outriggers to my hard top. It's a 2005 so pre welded in supports and balsa core. You'll need the backing plate and I recommend the wedge plate to have them sit level. You'll also need nylon tube spacers for the bolts to run through to avoid compression of the soft core. I found them at Home Depot, but any good hardware store should have them. For the right fit, I bought ones slightly longer than the hard top's thickness. With the holes drilled I clamped the backing plate in place, dropped the tube spacers in place, and cut them flush with the hardtop using an oscillating multi-tool.

You'll also have to seal the exposed core where the handle drops through. A thin layer of marine tex works well for that. Lastly a bead of 4200 around the bottom edges of all the plates before everything gets bolted together.

The hardest part is drilling the holes straight so they align. A little tricky with a surface that has a slight curve to it. Definitely an install you don't want rush and give it a lot of TLC.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
No help on outriggers but you will love the boat. We just got our 305 last July and could not be happier. Ours came with the Lee wishbone outriggers, i love the look of them but had to take them off. We have to go under 2 bridges when we leave and it gets to be pain to lower them.
Thanks. Hope to get the boat in water in two weeks!

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I installed Taco outriggers to my hard top. It's a 2005 so pre welded in supports and balsa core. You'll need the backing plate and I recommend the wedge plate to have them sit level. You'll also need nylon tube spacers for the bolts to run through to avoid compression of the soft core. I found them at Home Depot, but any good hardware store should have them. For the right fit, I bought ones slightly longer than the hard top's thickness. With the holes drilled I clamped the backing plate in place, dropped the tube spacers in place, and cut them flush with the hardtop using an oscillating multi-tool.

You'll also have to seal the exposed core where the handle drops through. A thin layer of marine tex works well for that. Lastly a bead of 4200 around the bottom edges of all the plates before everything gets bolted together.

The hardest part is drilling the holes straight so they align. A little tricky with a surface that has a slight curve to it. Definitely an install you don't want rush and give it a lot of TLC.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks. I could not find nylon so I order brass pipe. I like the idea of cutting in place with oscillating machine. I was thinking of making the bushings slightly shorter to allow for a little compression but maybe an exact cut is best. I did not think about wedge plates. Where did you find them? Did you install tHe bases in the rear corners of the top? I was concerned about getting an exact line up of the bolts with the backing plates. Did you drill through the backing plate to get the exact spots and then redrill with a larger drill to accomodate the bushings? Sorry for all the questions. I agree this DIY is a little nerve wracking but I will feel better knowing it was done right.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What ever you use for spacers you want to make sure it's a smooth and close fit with the bolt diameter so it slides right over the threads and the hole you drill is a match to the outer diameter. I used the wedge plates clamped in place as a guide for drilling the holes, and then made the holes larger to accommodate the spacers, but it still may not be perfect for all 4 holes to line up with the backing plate. I had to drill the holes in the backing plate to be a bit wider, but well within the tolerance of the washers to give a little wiggle room for all 4 bolts to make it through.

As far as placement, I went a little forward of the back corners. You want to take in account where and how your canvases are installed. I made sure that the handle didn't get in the way of any zippers or where the openings of the hanging slots for the canvases are located, as well as rolling up canvases. I think but can not be sure, if you look at where Grady is now welding reinforcements to the hard top frames it's a bit forward; however, I have a walk around so I have an easy reach in that location. Your Express might be a different scenario on what placement on the hard top will provide the easiest use, so I would take that into consideration.

I have seen outriggers installed at the back of the hardtop inside the width of the frame. I've also seen them placed so the handles would be inside the canvases. Those placements would determine if you need the wedges or not, but also might be convenient with your express.

Here's a link to the wedge plates I used (should you go that route):

Another thing you can do, is walk around some other marina's or GW dealers and see where and how the hard top outriggers are mounted on similar Grady's to yours.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
What ever you use for spacers you want to make sure it's a smooth and close fit with the bolt diameter so it slides right over the threads and the hole you drill is a match to the outer diameter. I used the wedge plates clamped in place as a guide for drilling the holes, and then made the holes larger to accommodate the spacers, but it still may not be perfect for all 4 holes to line up with the backing plate. I had to drill the holes in the backing plate to be a bit wider, but well within the tolerance of the washers to give a little wiggle room for all 4 bolts to make it through.

As far as placement, I went a little forward of the back corners. You want to take in account where and how your canvases are installed. I made sure that the handle didn't get in the way of any zippers or where the openings of the hanging slots for the canvases are located, as well as rolling up canvases. I think but can not be sure, if you look at where Grady is now welding reinforcements to the hard top frames it's a bit forward; however, I have a walk around so I have an easy reach in that location. Your Express might be a different scenario on what placement on the hard top will provide the easiest use, so I would take that into consideration.

I have seen outriggers installed at the back of the hardtop inside the width of the frame. I've also seen them placed so the handles would be inside the canvases. Those placements would determine if you need the wedges or not, but also might be convenient with your express.

Here's a link to the wedge plates I used (should you go that route):

Another thing you can do, is walk around some other marina's or GW dealers and see where and how the hard top outriggers are mounted on similar Grady's to yours.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks again for all the guidance. The brass pipe bushings should be exact for the 5/16 mounting bolts. Your advice is well taken. Not sure if my mount location will need wedge plates but I will keep it in mind.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good info here...

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Got my Lee Sidewinder brackets mounted in the sqme place as shown in the 305 brochure. I used 3/8 diameter brass tubing with 5/16 ID although a little filing was needed for easy slide through. I ended up with Taco Wedge plates on both the outside and inside so that the bolts were not on a angle on the backing plates. I used boat life caulking smeared on the edges of the large center 2.5 inch hole drilled through top. The outside plates were well sealed to top.and to each other. I did not seal inside since, like a window in a house, water if somehow enters has a place to leak out and not rot the core balsa. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: Kizuna