2007 GW 208 with crack on inside of transom?

NHAngler

Reaction score
OK, looked at my potentially new to me 2007 GW 208 this weekend. Condition could be better for the year and never been on saltwater but there are a few things. Cosmetic stuff and things like broken zippers and such not a huge deal. However, the skeg on the motor is bent. No damage on the motor other than the bend. My guess is this happened at a dock or log or something other than striking a rock but still, I checked the inside of the transom near the top where it meets the inside of the splash well and saw a few stress cracks in there. Only on one side did I see this and the other looked fine. Seems suspicious.

Is this normal? I know I have looked at a half dozen boats for sale up to 10 years old over the course of a year and the first time I have noticed this. Not that I have overly focused in this area but do make it a point to look at all I can near the transom (inside and out).

I also found a spot on the bottom of the hull that has been painted and a small chip of glass missing about the size of a quarter. Am I being too picky here?

Supposed to get more information Monday from the broker, owner, and the brokers glass guy. Broker has been very good through this process.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
a rough looking 2007 should tell you something. if you go forward, i would strongly suggest making any deal contingent on a very thorough professional survey (not someone that hung a shingle).

all i can say is when i traded my '02 232 in for my '09 330, it was in pristine condition. and that was wet slipped in saltwater. only thing broken was the lid on the portapottie and that's because i dropped it when laying up for its last winter with me. the eisenglass looked brand new.

if it looks like it was abused by the prior owner, may well have been.

good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I would hire a competent surveyor in your area if you are serious. Have him go through the boat and engine. Don't make a large purchase like this without one is my 1st advice. That being said, the way you describes the boat bothers me. It is recent model boat that appears to have a lot of little things wrong. Why wouldn't the previous owner take care of them? If these minor issues are there, it seems like maybe bigger things could be lurking. Try to find out who serviced the boat - are there records - can you talk with someone at the place?

Good Luck.

gw204

Reaction score
I would just walk. There are too many other options out there now not to keep looking.

seasick

Reaction score
gw204 said:
I would just walk. There are too many other options out there now not to keep looking.
I would be learyat best. 2007 as mentioned if pretty new. Just the fact that there are zipper issues makes me wonder how much the boat was abused. The crack as you call it could be minor or it could be really serious. The fact that the skeg is bent could mean a fairly heavy impact and perhaps that stressed the transom. It would have to be a pretty good whack to do that.
In addition there appears to be hull damage that was not repaired as it should have been. If these things were neglected and abused, how do suppose the motor was treated? All those things should raise alarms.
Unless the selling price is very attractive AND a competent survey does not discover really serious issues, I would walk.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All I have to say is Feet don't fail me now. This boat has been rode hard and put away wet. The broker and seller are trying to unload it on a poor unsuspecting soul. Don't be that soul.

NHAngler

Reaction score
To give an update / ending on this, I walked away from this deal. Found out Monday morning that the boat was left docked in shallow water during a storm and had some quality time on the rocks. The suspicious painted over area actually went the whole length of the bottom of the hull. It was repaired from a local auto shop. There may have been an offer to have a boat dealer go through and redo it but this all went sour when it did not feel right just based on what I saw. Getting the update regarding what was not disclosed up front was confirmation that this was not the right deal / boat.

On I go with my 208 shopping.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
good for you!

with the additional info, i think we'd all be betting that the transom crack has structural implications.

keep looking. i'm sure a well maintained boat is out there for you. good luck, ron

ps: can you get me the name of the auto shop; i need some masonry work done and i'm sure they can cover that too :mrgreen:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Well that is disappointing I'm sure, but far better than being saddled with a damaged boat and little recourse.
The dealer/broker should have been up front with you on this. If he wasn't dump him too.

You will find the right boat. This is a buyers market, so do your homework and don't be afraid to offer what you consider a low-competitive offer. You have the leverage - especially between now and spring.

Good luck.

NHAngler

Reaction score
thanks everyone. i'm set on a 208 and after this, I would be happy with one twice as old if in good shape so I think that expands my search a bit. Well, maybe.

PETRVS

Reaction score
May want to check with some of the larger Grady Dealers down on the CT shore- there have been some decent deals on 208s down there- just bought one myself on Columbus Day weekend- 2006 208 w/ F150....less than 150hrs.

Good luck with the hunt!