2007 Marlin Battery Configuration

ttles714

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the, what I believe to be the Factory Battery Wiring on my 2007 Marlin. twin 250 Yamahas... 4 batteries, seams like 2 banks, Guest 2 bank charger.... 2 battery switches... Battery banks seam to be port aft and forward and Starboard aft and forward. Boat has a factory Generator and thruster . I have the Owner's manual ..
So which batteries supply the "house" ... can the house run down the battery that starts the motor... My 2001 Marlin was much simpler ... and seamed more direct.. a battery for each engine and 2 house batteries in parallel ... 3 switches .. each ox66 had an aux charging lead to charge and isolate the house batteries ...

Last edited:
Reactions: wspitler

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If like the 07 330 the starboard battery switch supplies the house and starboard engine, either number one bank or number two bank depending on switch position. The port switch supplies the port engine and the generator starting capability. Think of switches and not battery banks, the starboard switch should be thought of as hot wired to the house.

ttles714

Reaction score
Thanks very much .... informative and simple

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If like the 07 330 the starboard battery switch supplies the house and starboard engine, either number one bank or number two bank depending on switch position. The port switch supplies the port engine and the generator starting capability. Think of switches and not battery banks, the starboard switch should be thought of as hot wired to the house.
Thanks for this explanation. Question - if the starboard battery switch is on "both" and the port battery switch is off, I assume the house circuits will work. If on the hook or mooring and the starboard batteries go dead from the house draw, will I be able to turn on the port battery switch and start the port engine or generator to get enough charge to start the starboard engine? What is your recommendation about battery management when staying overnight on the hook or mooring?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It is not a good idea to leave either switch in "both." Typically you'll only use "both" if one bank is too weak to start an engine. The starboard switch on my boat serves the house and the starboard engine. The port switch only supplies the port engine and gen starting. We have one bank of deep cycle (2 in parallel), they are #2 on the switches and one bank of starting (2 in parallel) and they are #1 on the switches. On the hook we run the house (starboard switch) on #2 bank (deep cycle) and sometimes turn off the port switch. In that configuration, (without the genny powering the battery charger), the deep cycle bank powers the house and starboard engine and the starting batteries are disconnected from everything. In that configuration you can't start the port engine. That ensures we have fresh starting batteries in the morning. One more caution, never go through "OFF" with the engines running. If you need to swap battery banks with the engines running, do so by going through "both."

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It is not a good idea to leave either switch in "both." Typically you'll only use "both" if one bank is too weak to start an engine. The starboard switch on my boat serves the house and the starboard engine. The port switch only supplies the port engine and gen starting. We have one bank of deep cycle (2 in parallel), they are #2 on the switches and one bank of starting (2 in parallel) and they are #1 on the switches. On the hook we run the house (starboard switch) on #2 bank (deep cycle) and sometimes turn off the port switch. In that configuration, (without the genny powering the battery charger), the deep cycle bank powers the house and starboard engine and the starting batteries are disconnected from everything. In that configuration you can't start the port engine. That ensures we have fresh starting batteries in the morning. One more caution, never go through "OFF" with the engines running. If you need to swap battery banks with the engines running, do so by going through "both."
Thanks - got it.

ttles714

Reaction score
I don't know why Grady would not have just isolated the house batteries so that the starting the motors or generator could never be effected by house draw current . ... My 2001 Marlin Battery wiring seamed so direct and so simple ... ( Maybe they saved the cost of an extra switch as the 2001 had 3 battery switches ... LOL ) The Yamaha OX 66's had the aux charging leads which was also a nice feature.