2007 Marlin diesel tank question

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
New to me 2007 Marlin. It has a PF generator with associated oem diesel tank. The tank top has a gauge/sending unit that is not connected. There are electrical connections that should lead somewhere. Helm fuel gauge maybe. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've attached pics of the sending unit/gauge

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200404-092153_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-092153_Gallery.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20200404-092136_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-092136_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20200404-092117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-092117_Gallery.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 21

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007 330 that has exactly the same thing. My guess is that they put in a sender capable of driving a gauge somewhere in the boat, but never installed one. I thought about putting a gauge somewhere easier to see, but haven't done so. I've had the boat for 9 years now, so I think I would have noticed a gauge if there was one.

Reactions: Viking88rd

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have any first-hand experience with that, but... I thought I remember reading somewhere that the fuel gauge is at the genny control panel? Can you confirm/deny?

Looking at that sender, it appears to be original (and also looks like you need to replace the gasket). So, again, without any real life experience with it, I wonder if: Since you didn't find any wires around that could connect to it... and since the connectors look like they were never attached to anything... and since they are not standard wire colors... and since there's a built-in gauge right on the tank... I think what you got there is how it's supposed to be. Meaning, the way you are supposed to check fuel level is to look at the built-in gauge. Is there an access plate directly over top of the sender?

EDIT: Looks like Bill was typing at the same time as me. With him having the same setup, it sounds like "it is what it is". It wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer the spend the extra money on a gauged sender AND run wires to a secondary gauge somewhere. Unless maybe a remote gauge was an option?

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There is no visual access to the sending unit other than via the aft hatch and crawling in to look at it. Given that, it would make sense I suppose to have the option of connecting an aux gauge in a more visually friendly location. Agreed on the dry rot gasket and it's on the spring list. In general, it seems Grady missed the mark on this lack of follow through. I will be testing the unit to see if it even works & look into installing an aux gauge. There is no gauge at the main panel or anywhere else on the boat. Perhaps a mode at the generator LCD hour meter gauge, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Nope, been through all of that. Grady may have only been able to get the gauge with wires, or the manufacturer, Rochester, sent them the wrong gauge. My wires are cut off flush with the black plastic. Rochester made one without the sender, visual only. I called Grady but they were clueless about generator things. For example, they did not know and denied that the AC meter on the AC panel had a high and low voltage alarm (Blue Sea 8247) Don't ask how I found that out. I pulled the sender and it looks high quality and the needle works but is hard to read when full. There is a variable potentiometer, so it's a pretty simple system, but I haven't put in a separate more accessible, gauge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is there a good area to add a deck plate for quick, visual inspection?

But, yeah, test the sender with an ohm meter. If it works (should read between something like 33 and 240 ohms for a typical sender... but check my memory on that), replace the gasket and wire in a gauge somewhere accessible. Parts are cheap for this - just takes a little time. You can mount the gauge anywhere along with an inexpensive on/off switch for power.

Fishtales

Reaction score
New to me 2007 Marlin. It has a PF generator with associated oem diesel tank. The tank top has a gauge/sending unit that is not connected. There are electrical connections that should lead somewhere. Helm fuel gauge maybe. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've attached pics of the sending unit/gauge

Same on mine. Looks like it has the provision for a gauge but GW didn't put one in. If you install one, post some pics.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just a thought, since most senders are standard impedance, I wonder if the Yamaha speed/fuel gauges can be set up for three tanks and not just two like our 330s are? I seem to remember that I looked into that and found that they could only display two tanks, but I may look into that again though.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did some research and the square Command Link speed/fuel gauges only support two fuel tank indications. The fact that the FP generator burns so little fuel, it takes days to get low starting with a full tank, a helm gauge is not critical. If I was to add a gauge, I think I'd place it near the tank, just easier to read.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure there is no baffle and it wouldn't be all that accurate anyway.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yea, I'm sure there is no baffle and it wouldn't be all that accurate anyway.
It's a small tank (12 gallons) and more verticle than horizontal, so the gauge is pretty accurate. Not big enough to need baffles. 12 gallons will last several days at moderate electrical loads.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I echo a request for photos and parts list if you put in a guage. I was thinking of a guage near the stern door. I'd only rarely look at it.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks everyone for all the input. If/when I wire in a more user friendly gauge I will post pics of the project.

Reactions: Jamie2