2008 330 Express

fmasse

Reaction score
I have just traded in my Bimini 306 for an '08 330 express and was wondering what other 330 owners have done to set their boats up for fishing. It appears there are only 4 gunnel mounted rod holders and 6 rod holders off the hardtop.

Has anyone added a rocket launcher in the cockpit ?

Has anyone had additional rod holders added either in the gunnels or on the hardtop ?

I would really appreciate any feedback here. I'm just trying to figure out how I will fish 7+ trolling rods and a couple of teasers.

Thanks,

Frank

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I'll give you a 7or 8 rod set-up:

1. 2 rods in the stern gunnel rod holders attached to flat line clips that are zip tied to the grab hanldes on either side of the transom. Run these lines short (Like with cedar plugs)

2. 2 rods in the forward gunnel rod holders running spreaders or plugs (Your choice a little farther back than the short rods)

3. Two rods in the lower hardtop post rod holders attached to your outriggers...running spreader bars

4. One or Two rods in your upper hardtop post rod holders attached to flat line clips that are zip tied to the crossbar on your hardop. Line the clips up about a foot on either side of center. These lines will run in the center of your wake close together so plugs are best.

5. OPTIONAL: Run a double line outrigger and run a second set of rods from the middle hartop post rod holder to the second ourigger clip. Run the first line all the way out and the second half way out.

With this set-up you will have up to a ten line spread.....just watch your turns.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do the same on my 265 express. I have had 10 rods out before, but with a crew of four it becomes a bit hectic with multiple hook ups so I stay with 8. I agree with fishermanbb. Back rod holders should be for flat lines. I added Aftco FL2 clips on my transom. The aft two holders go to the inside rigger clip. My bottom hardtop holder will run to my outside rigger clip. My top hardtop holder will be for two rods out the middle, one short of the rod tip and one long off a FL-2 clip mounted on my hardtop. If you have a center rigger you are even better off. You could add another set of rod holders along the gunwales, or in the transom. I plan to add another two rod holders in the spring in my transom so I will shift all my rods back a holder. I have seen 33 express's with rocket launchers. If you fish with kite's I could see them being worth the money, but honestly that boat has enough rod holders that are positioned well enough for most trolling needs. Adding a rocket launcher just adds clutter in the cockpit, on bigger sport fishermen space is usually not an issue so it is less of an issue, but on a 33ft boat I would weigh space and an uncluttered deck over a rocket launcher. I would add rod holders before you decide to add the rocket launcher, if you still need more places for rods, then put the rocket launcher in. You can also buy teaser reels or use old penn 3/0 reels mounted under the hardtop with lines running off clips from each corner of your hardtop or off your inside outrigger clip. If you fish teasers a bit, it is easier to have teaser reels then rods in the cockpit. This allows the captain to clear lines as well as the crew, it gives you an extra set of hands in most cases. It also puts less gear in the cockpit, hopefully cutting down on anything going wrong once fish are hooked up.