2008 Fuel Usage / Highway Fuel Tax Refund

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just finished tallying up all of this years fuel slips in preparation to file highway fuel tax refund for Delaware. They rebate 23 cents a gallon for highway tax portion.

I run a 33 Express out of Indian River Inlet. We fish offshore fairly often -maybe 12-15 trips a year.

2008 Usage was 1843.76 gallons @ 4.17 avg per gallon

Dollars $7685.74 less rebate $424.06 $ 3.94 avg gallon

It would be nice if the 2009 average price was less than $2.00

Stonewall

Reaction score
Glad that Delaware recognizes that they are wrongly taxing marine fuel and provides a rebate. Here in Maryland we just continue to get screwed!!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
At least you get something back - CT gives you back 25 cents per gallon, but then charges sales tax on the per gallon amount -
Thats right - if you pay over $4.10 per gallon you have to pay them money -

Stupid stupid stupid!

Tim

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tim,
Same deal in Massachusetts. This is why govt needs to be cut by about 80% in this country. The pols make everything so damn complicated. They just couldn't rebate the road component. In this case, the formula was complicated enough that it backfires when the price is over $4 per gallon.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I agree 100% Fishtails, 80% would be a good starting point. I did the same calculation at the beginning of the season and owed the state $15 for a 175 gal fill up.

I hope this down turn forces huge cut backs in Massachusetts government, what an incredibly wasteful entity that does very little for those who pay the most.

I am all for helping those who really need help but this state is out of control with corruption and greed. Try bidding for a state contract some time if you are not on the inside, it will open your eyes.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Gentlemen,
I checked with the KY Dept of Revenue and was informed by them that they give the fuel tax credit to the marina owner that sells the fuel and the marina is expected to pass it along to the consumer in the form of lower prices. With logic like that you can all understand why I fill the boat up @ gas stations located on land and forget the road usage tax!
We all know the scariest phrase in the English language is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" Just ask anyone served by FEMA!
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Gentlemen,
I checked with the KY Dept of Revenue and was informed by them that they give the fuel tax credit to the marina owner that sells the fuel and the marina is expected to pass it along to the consumer in the form of lower prices. With logic like that you can all understand why I fill the boat up @ gas stations located on land and forget the road usage tax!
We all know the scariest phrase in the English language is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" Just ask anyone served by FEMA!
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!