2008 Tournament 205

CLK

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering purchasing a new '08 Tournament 205 w/ an F250 with electronic controls.

The boat would primarily be used for fresh water cruising,... water sports,.... ocassional fishing. The boat would be moored on the lake.

Would be interested in getting some feedback on the boat,... motor/electronic controls & prop options.

TIA.

Cheers!
~CLK

HuskerBoater

Reaction score
I have an '06 205. I absolutely love it. I primarily fish, but the family comes out cruising, skiing, etc at least once a week. For a dual purpose boat, it is tough to beat. I fish the Chesapeake Bay and it handles the chop and 2-3 footers with ease. I wouldn't hesitate to take it 10-15 offshore on a decent day. Fishing amenities are not as good as with a CC but they are plenty good for a weekend warrior like me. However, there are way better amenities for the family than any CC, esp with sleeper seat, bow seating forward, etc. Nice sized fish box, livewell, good cockpit space. Plus, the 20 foot size is a nice combo of ease to maneuver, ease of solo launch/landing with the trailer, and enough size to handle moderate-rough weather on the Chesapeake. I have the F150 and I really like that engine so far. Good fuel economy and plenty of power for what I do. An F250 will positively be ripping for that hull....more than enough power for anything you could want. I would even argue that you don't need anything more than an F225. I think the F200 and F150 are equivalent, by the way (weight vs power). As far as electronics, you can squeeze a large 8" screened unit on the electronics bay surface. I have a 5" Lowrance display, VHF, stereo remote and plenty of extra space for trim tab controls, etc.

One thing I've noticed about running the Grady vs other boats is the sheer mass of the hull. These are big, heavy, hulls that just bust through chop like nothing. I have gotten several comments on how well the 205 rides. They are built like tanks and mine still looks showroom new (I am pretty obsessive about cleaning it and taking care of it.) It is also a very above average dry ride.

PM me and I can give you any info you need/want on the 205. Good luck.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you tall?

I had an '05 205.....loved the boat..but sold it less than 3 months after I purchased because I could not run the boat standing up. GW uses a side mounted throttle assembly on the 205 and at speed, the throttle is so low that I had to sit down to run the boat, or else I couldn't reach the throttle. (I am 6'3"). The 225, on the other hand, uses the standard surface mount binnacle and its not an issue.

Beyond that, my 205 had an F225....it was the perfect setup. With the F250, I wouldn't be surprised if you see 50 mph.

CLK

Reaction score
Husker & Parthery,

Thanks for the replies & info - I appreciate it!

I'm considering going with the F250 because it has the option of an electronic throttle control (fly-by-wire). As far as my heigth standing, in relation to the side mouned throttle - I've checked that out & should be fine.

For electronics - I have Raymarine E-Series on my other boats, so I was hoping to fit the new Raymarine C-90 Wide screen on the dash of the 205. I think it'll fit.

If I go with the F250 - Anyone have thoughts on a good prop for this hull/engine combo?

This would be my first GW & first Yamaha engine. Any other thoughts, opinions or observations about the GW 205, or the F250?

Thanks.

Cheers!
~CLK

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First, welcome to the best forum for boats on the 'net. You've come to the right place!

The tournament is a great layout for a day boat. For lots of guests on day trips on the lake and such, they afford a ton of room and make an outstanding platform for fun on the water. We seriously considered one when we were looking, but because our trips are mostly in the ocean, the cuddy has proven the best choice for us.

For a lake boat, water sports and such, go with the bigger motor - you'll love the power. Have them prop it on factory specs, then you can opt for a stainless prop down the road if you want to go up or down in pitch or style. They are fairly expensive.

One thing I will tell you, the 22' has a MUCH bigger head compartment. We would certainly have gone that way for a bow rider. Unfortunately, the 205's head is only big enough for kids and petite's. If you have a 125lb wifey you'll be fine, if not, consider the bigger boat. Otherwise you'll be looking to go bigger, sooner rather than later.

If you're pulling for watersports, opt for the factory tow pylon. Nice option. Get the full cushion package, and a swimstep. If it's hot and sunny where you're at, at least get the bimini.

As far as Grady as a brand of boat, well there just isn't anything out there that's quite as nice. At least that's what us owners will tell you. And they are heavy, the ride is really great, and they're dry. The detail features built into the boat are really well thought out, like storage, layout, seating, etc. The quality is evident everywhere you look. As far as I am aware, Grady is the only recreational boat built to mil-spec, they cast them in gray gelcoat for military and law enforcement use. In fact, at least in the smaller sizes, they come standard with lifting eyes on the transom.

Same with Yamaha outboards. They are well engineered, super quiet, and very reliable. They are certainly one of the best, and I don't think anyone would argue that. Personally, I don't think I would buy a boat with a Merc on it. I don't think they're necessarily bad, but I think Yamaha, Suzuki, and Bombardier are a better product.

BTW, the 200/225/250 is a V6, the 150 is an inline 4, and they are about 100lbs lighter. Another reason to go with the bigger hull as far as I'm concerned. You won't be sorry. Yes, they are more money, but you may find a late model one if a new one is too much, and there are a lot of bargains out there right now.

PS> I started boating in 1962 :mrgreen:

striped bass

Reaction score
Sea trial the boat first. If you have an extended family you may find the 20 footer a tad small. Its is a great boat, for sure, but be sure the size is appropriate which you will be able to determine out on the water. I agree with the prior poster that a 225 may be a better fit - give it a try. The port side head compartment is tight even on a 225. The 205 head compartment will be a squeeze for anybody - kids included.

CLK

Reaction score
Striped Bass & CJBROWN - Thanks for the input!

The boat I'm looking at is pretty loaded - Full curtain set, cushions, pylon, trim tabs, washdown. The the only things I would add are; a swim platform, have it pre-wired for downriggers & have the electronics installed by the dealer.

I currently own two other boats, both Boston Whalers: a 345 Conquest & a 150 Montauk. The GW 205 would kind of be a 'betweener' boat. So having a bigger boat to accomadate more people, isn't a concern.

I started out wanting a great little run-about. I looked at, & seatrialed, both a BW 190 Outrage & a GW 180 Sportsman. I was very impressed w/ the GW 180, & would choose it over the 190 Outrage. However, after giving it more thought - I figured if I was going to get a 3rd boat, it should be different enough from the other two, to justify a purchase. That's when I started to look at dual consoles - which I'd never really thought of before. For what I'd like from another a boat - a DC seems to make sense.

I looked at both the BW 210 Ventura & the GW 205 Tournament. Much more impressed w/ the GW.

So, here I am!

Thanks again eveyone for the feedback. If anyone has anything else to add - please chime in. All info is helpful & appreciated.

Cheers!
~CLK

striped bass

Reaction score
You are very boat savvy if you own those other boats as well. Enjoy your new GW! Post a few pics of your new Grady if you can - of all your boats, too.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I loved my 205. Plenty of room for people, and fishes well. Very comfortable in cold weather with the enclosure up.

Head is ok for little kids, but it is really nice for dry storage. Tackle boxes or beach bags stack in there nice.

With the F250 I'd skip the Yamaha prop and run a Mirage+ 19. I always get better midrange efficiency and top speed with a M+ over the SWSII.

If I get another one it will be with an F250 and a ski pylon. Not sure if I'd get the sleeper seat or not. You get alot more cockpit room without it, but my wife and kids sure did like it.

I had a Garmin 4208 flush mounted in the console. Fit well.

Don't know if GW changed it, but the access to the rear of the helm was not easy. I needed to take down a plywood/carpet panel (not hard) but to get that panel out fully I had to remove the compartment door frame assembly. Actually to get the panel off at all, I had to remove a little block of starboard first that held the latch striker plate.

The trim tab pump was also located behind this panel, so it made it hard to check the fluid level.

Maybe GW has changed this design, would not be too difficult to do so.

With the panel out I could sit inside the compartment to work on the wiring.

With an F200 mine would top out at 42-43 and get just under 4 mpg. Never had a problem planing, even with (I think) 12 people/kids in the boat.

SnoweyTiger

Reaction score
I bought a 205 this winter and cannot say enough good about the boat. It has enough amenities to keep the lady crew members happy, enough fishing space to let four guys fish at once without getting in each others way, and still cruises comfortably.

Getting in and out of the head takes a little engineering for those pushing the six foot tall range, but at least you get the privacy ladies want for a day out on the water. It makes great storage for all those things you don't want bouncing around in the bottom of the boat while you run to the fishing grounds.

I'm still on my learning curve with the boat, but so far very happy with it.

HuskerBoater

Reaction score
I second the thoughts on the head compartment...pretty small. However, I knew that when I bought it and for our family, it is rarely used for its intended purpose. It is, however, fantastic dry storage. One thing I wish Grady would've done differently is NOT carpeted the port bowseat storage compartment. It is constantly wet - the lid does not keep it particularly dry.

I also agree with a prev comment on the sleeper seat. It is awesome for the women/kids but takes up a large chunk of the cockpit fising area. If I could do it again, I'm not sure I'd get the sleeper seat. Plus, I have found that it is not bulletproof sturdy when folded out...it tends to sag at the ends.

Overall, I love my 205. In fact, I was considering selling it to move up, but I may just keep it as my "tweener" boat.

CLK

Reaction score
Well,... a slight change in plans,....

Bought a new 2009 Sportsman 180 w/ an F150, today.

When I started looking for a run-about boat - this was the GW I was interested in. Seems I've gone full circle.

I really like the 205 Tournament, but believe I looked in that direction, mainly because it was so different from my other two boats - despite the fact that I really liked the 180.

So now, although my 3 boats might not be as different as possible - They are what I really want.

Thanks for all the input & information!

I'm really excited about my new GW & Yamaha engine!

Cheers!
~CLK

HuskerBoater

Reaction score
That Sportsman 180 is a great boat as well. Funny...I can say that about every Grady model!