200hp OX66 or 150 HPDI

Reaction score
Opinions needed and welcomed:
Looking at 1998 Adventure with a 200yamaha 0X66 fuel inj. and a 2003 Adventure with a 150 HPDI. Both boats are in excellent condition and laid out similarly. Asking price:19K for the '98 and 18k for the 2003. They both have trailers. I know the fuel economy would be a little better with the HPDI, but I know they can be finicky. The HPDI has just been serviced - with receipts, but I believe 200 OX66 is less problematical.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Both motors are good models. The prices are a bit higher than current market in my area but that depends on the quality and condition of the trailers as well as the boats:) . Factor in the condition of the canvas and upholstery. I would lean towards the newer model. There should be less that needs replacement. Also factor in options: Live well, raw water washdown, fresh water spray, trim tabs, pulpit , electronics, etc Each option affects the price, some more than others. If either has a hardtop, the 150 motor will be a bit underpowered.
Whichever boat you decide to follow up on, you should get a survey and a moisture test. Transoms are prone to moisture issues as are locker hatches.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick.
Both boats are offer near identical features, although the '03 has a radar arch. Both roller trailers are from the same mfg. and used primarily to transport the Gradys to slips. I, too, thought the prices were on the high side. Winter's about to set in (I'm on Long Island) so I may wait 'till spring. Again, thanks for your input.

seasick

Reaction score
OK. I know that originally with 2 strokes, Grady recommended a minimum of 175 hp when the 208 had a hard top.I guess the radar arch weights less than the hardtop but regardless, make sure you sea trial with a load similar to how you plan on using the vessel.
The best time to negotiate is just before folks have to pay for summer dockage and at the end of the summer before they have to commit to winter storage (assuming they don't store the boat on their property.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can't argue with anything seasick stated. You'll have to do your homework as you probably want to lock in on one of the two boats and get a survey. I'd use condition and service records as key indicators to narrow it down. If stuck, maybe do some motor checks (compression, hour analysis, lower unit oil inspection etc) to narrow.