2012 209 cc w/150 hp yamaha

Coachescrew

Reaction score
Just had it surveyed w/only 92.5 hrs.
Is the 150 enough power? Will have 2-4 people casual and fishing use.
- Is it possible to add a removable table in bow?
Look forward to your replies

Sailfish

Reaction score
The 150 will be sluggish, especially when fully loaded. I had an '87 204C Overnighter with a 175 that I bought new back in the day. The 175 was barely adequate by 1987 standards when twin 150s were the power of choice on a Sailfish, and if a boat hit 50 MPH it was a speed boat.

I think you will be disappointed with the performance

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think you’ll be fine with 150. Ive had a 20’ center console with a 150 evinrude 2stroke and it’s been a great boat. i think 200 would be more than needed. CCs are just a lot lighter than walk arounds like an overnighter. On my CC w 150 we didn’t often open up to WOT, not really a need.

George Kasparyan

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I think that boat will be underpowered with 150hp. The boat is rated for up to 250hp (specs attached below) with a 150hp most likely struggling to plane with heavy loads and reaching lower top speeds. Also, fuel efficiency may be decreased due to the engine having to run at higher rpm to reach a similar cruising speed. Better to be safe than sorry and have redundancy. A 250 is perfect for that boat and has more than enough power.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 12.18.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 12.18.06 AM.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 13

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Varying opinions here too

Imo the GW dealer wouldn’t sell a 20’er with a 150 if it wasn’t adequate. If you’re concerned about it only having 150 you can hold out to find something with more juice but there is quite limited market for used boats right now, so good luck finding the perfect rig. If you repower you’ll still be waiting quite a while with backlogs. The CCs are a good 1000 lbs lighter than a walk around style. I have enjoyed a 20’ 150hp cc for over 10 years now (different brand hull but similar - 1989 hull and 1998 engine gets up over 35 mph and great hole shot). Can you water test it with some buddies along for the ride?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would like at least a 200 hp with that boat. She will be just adequate with 150 as long as you have the right prop.

seasick

Reaction score
Like I said earlier. The boat will run OK but will suffer under heavier loads and/or rough seas. On that hull you will even notice a difference in performance between a 1/2 tank of gas and a full tank. 1/2 tank of extra gas is equivalent to adding one more fairly large passenger.
Regarding the statement that that hull ran fine with a 150 Evinrude 2s is misleading; The 2 strokes weigh less but more importantly have often very different low end torque profiles. The hole shot performance on a 2 stroke can be much better than a similar hp 4 stroke.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Like I said earlier. The boat will run OK but will suffer under heavier loads and/or rough seas. On that hull you will even notice a difference in performance between a 1/2 tank of gas and a full tank. 1/2 tank of extra gas is equivalent to adding one more fairly large passenger.
Regarding the statement that that hull ran fine with a 150 Evinrude 2s is misleading; The 2 strokes weigh less but more importantly have often very different low end torque profiles. The hole shot performance on a 2 stroke can be much better than a similar hp 4 stroke.
frankly bud, I didn’t say anything misleading. I told him what my experience has been with a DIFFERENT hull. I made it clear it was a 2 stroke. I’ve had a great experience with that boat and it’s never been sluggish for me personally. I understand your point btwn 2 and 4 stroke as most boaters do.

sure more hp would make some people happy. As it shows in the other forum posting I shared there are different opinions which doesn’t make one opinion right or wrong or misleading.

everyone just loves being the smartest person in the room on this site. My 2 cents. OP obviously do whatever you want with this boat and ignore the rest of us.

seasick

Reaction score
I was commenting based on my experience with a 208 powered with a 150 2 stroke. The 209 is the same hull but a bit lighter. I know from 15 years experience on the 208 how it runs and handles with the 2s 150. I made my comments based on that experience and not to put folks down. So I apologize if folks were offended, that was not my intention.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I was commenting based on my experience with a 208 powered with a 150 2 stroke. The 209 is the same hull but a bit lighter. I know from 15 years experience on the 208 how it runs and handles with the 2s 150. I made my comments based on that experience and not to put folks down. So I apologize if folks were offended, that was not my intention.
I didn’t mean to wake up on the wrong side of the bed either. Sorry seasick - obv I know you are a strong contributor to this site with a lot of knowledge to share.

just seems like this guy is excited about the prospect of this boat, getting a survey, and it could very well serve to meet his full needs as a casual boater.
Finding a boat right now is a game of the best of what’s available, otherwise its a 2-3 year wait for some gems to pop up. I’m not one to spend $30k of someone else’s money to repower for what many would consider a ‘nice to have’. Not everyone needs 45mph. Although plenty of people seem to feel the extra power is worth it, so I stand down

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi Guys,
I have my first Grady White, a 2006 208 with the same year F150 4s. I have owned "quality fishing boats all of my adult life. 3 makos from 17-21, a 23 parker cc, a 32 albermarle salon, a 28 Caolina Express. (I am gratefull to be a 63 year young kid still fishing and boating-ha ha!). I keep the boat in Niantic Connecticut on the Eastern Long Island sound. I fish from the Eastern sound to Fischer's Island and block Island sound. I just did a black fish trip on Sunday in perfect weather conditions with 3 of us on board. running 3800-4400 I seem to do 15-23 NM per hour, give or take 3 mph depending on whether it is 1 or 3 guys. I like to keep my boats fueled up. I humbly say I am blown away by how nice this boat rides and how capable it is in any sea condition up to 4 feet. Do not get me wrong in an afternoon four foot sea condition 12-15 knot ride home. becomes a long ride from the Southwest ledge! I am at a point my life were I have learned to pick my whether! Like most of us, your current boat is either the worst or the best boat you have owned! the Grady is absolutely the best boatI have ever owned in terms of sea capability and portability. I would love to have a 200 hp four stroke for that little extra torque and a couple of more knots however I do believe Grady White has figured out that the 150 is more than adequate for the weight/size/buoyancy ratio etc. Quite frankly, when I look at the 150 on the transom it just seems like there should be more, for this "big" little boat. It seems to me the 208 likes a 20-24knot cruise on nice day 2-3 foot sea conditions.

Reactions: PointedRose