2012 Marlin Fuel tank leak (front)

andybru

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their fuel tanks? I noticed fuel in the bilge one day while cleaning the boat ( it sits in the water). Long story short we lost all the fuel from the front tank. I hauled her out, replaced all the float switches and bilge pump and drained the little bit of fuel left in the front tank and put her back in the water. I will be getting the tank either replaced or fixed in the new year. Until then I am just operating on the rear tank. All sorted with no explosions luckily!! If its not due to corrosion insurance will pay. I am hoping its not as the boat is only 6 years old! Any past experienced with this?

Cheers

Andy

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Most likely from corrosion, but hope it works out that it's covered. I am interested in what type of bearing point pads they used on that year, my tank corroded every location where rubber was used against the tank. I am told that the carbon content in rubber promotes aggressive oxidation where it contacts aluminum. I used expanded PVC instead of rubber at every contact point, and attached it to the epoxy coated aluminum tank with 5200 so no moisture can get trapped there.On the bottom of the tank, I first attached 3" X 6" X 3/16" thick fiberglass pads to the bearing points of the tank with 5200, then put expanded PVC between those and the raised bilge pads. This should keep the epoxy coating from taking any wear and giving some cushion effect in rough seas. A failed weld could also be the issue, my new tank was made with heavy gauge 3/16" aluminum instead of the thinner gauge that came out. I believe this is the 3rd tank in 30 years for my Seafarer, the new one should outlast the hull this time (I hope!).

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've NEVER heard of a 6 year old tank or hoses leaking. I'm assuming it wasn't used abnormally or abused, or nobody put a screw through it... I'd bet Grady would jump in and help on something like that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't imagine that would be corrosion, either. Preventative maintenance would have to be REALLY bad, along with abuse of the tank. The most likely culprit is a defect if, indeed, the gas physically leaked out of the aluminum. I agree - get your dealer involved and/or contact Grady directly - they may cover (or at least help) this under goodwill. It helps to have a dealer verify things.

andybru

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Once I remove the tank in Jan. I will update you. I will chat to our local dealer but I am based in Australia so I don't think to much will come of it.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Sorry to read this. The forward tank is not ez to remove. Stern tank is much easier. Could be a tear or bad weld. Rip it out!

Ask for a saws all for Christmas.

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Sorry to read this. The forward tank is not ez to remove. Stern tank is much easier. Could be a tear or bad weld. Rip it out!

Ask for a saws all for Christmas.

When I got to this post in the discussion about it being the forward tank that failed, I knew it was, IMO, from the pounding of the sea being much more severe up aft than in the rear of the boat. IMO, it is Marlin's fault for putting a gas tank up in front of the CC (if I'm correct in assuming that's where it is).

I had a tank fail exactly like andybru in a 32 foot Wellcraft. I had it replaced but it was a $10,000 job, and just from checking in on the progress, it is not something anyone but a professional should even attempt.

After it was fixed, I sold the boat.

I currently own a 42 Performance, and I've put 1500 hours on it (owned it from new (2001) - two repowers) in some of the roughest seas one can imagine (long 100 mile trips often - out of sight of land) and the tank has not "ruptured".

My fuel tank is about 270 gallons 1/4 inch standard, and after ten years of use the area on top of the tank where the (4) pickups are started to corrode with tiny pin holes at first that leaked gasoline when I filled up. I called a local Bahamian "Tank" guy and he fiberglassed over the holes - and he sanded and sanded the AL tank to prep for the glass job for an area of 3 feet by three feet (from the pickups) - and I made him go half way up for added protection.

It stopped the problem, but I still won't fill the tank all the way to the top.

That's where a fuel tank will leak on you first, around the pickups … IMO. I asked a marine owner (Bobby Brown - Brown's boat yard, Nassau, Bahamas) whose been hauling and fixing boats since the beginning of WWII, and he said it's a common problem with older boats.

I wonder if there's a tank man out there that would like to comment, as I'd be interested in reading what he has to say. The fiberglass job has held up for 8 years, but I can see gasoline "seeping around" occasionally threw the glass - not comforting.

I would think a thick hard drying "tar" based paint would be good for the top of any fuel tank over 10 years old, but ask a professional - which I'm not.

Sirgrady above mentioned a "failed weld", and that's where they all leak and fail if you ask me. 1/4 inch AL is pretty tuff.

The boatbuilder who built my 42 Performance and at least 100 more just like it, says he buys his tanks from one manufacturer and he is very good.

Shop around and make sure you get the best 1/4 inch AL tank you can find.

Good luck to you, and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
I respectively question a tank is made with 1/4" plate.

If you need one built let me now, but it won't be .250"

I don't believe any of the big manufacturers build a AL tank thicker than 1/4 inch.

The person that built my Performance42 said they are all 1/4 inch.

READ THIS LINK:
"In the marine industry we usually use 1/8" 5052 to build the fuel cells." https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/welding-discussions/22066-1st-aluminum-tank-build-need-help

http://www.boatsurveyor.com/aluminum-fuel-tanks/

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/stainless-or-aluminum-for-diesel-fuel-tanks.33681/

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/aluminum-boat-fuel-tank

Attachments

• Monster CrawfishJimmy.jpg
    Monster CrawfishJimmy.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Performance 42 bare bottom hull many bulkheads for strenth.png #2.png
    Performance 42 bare bottom hull many bulkheads for strenth.png #2.png
    463.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never heard of this. You can contact GW Cust Service directly via the web. I would give this route a shot. They just might blow you away with their customer service....

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their fuel tanks? I noticed fuel in the bilge one day while cleaning the boat ( it sits in the water). Long story short we lost all the fuel from the front tank. I hauled her out, replaced all the float switches and bilge pump and drained the little bit of fuel left in the front tank and put her back in the water. I will be getting the tank either replaced or fixed in the new year. Until then I am just operating on the rear tank. All sorted with no explosions luckily!! If its not due to corrosion insurance will pay. I am hoping its not as the boat is only 6 years old! Any past experienced with this?

Cheers

Andy

ANDY in Australia: A friend had a 37 foot Midnight Express about 15 years old, and was taking it to Florida for a new fuel tank. That's a 180 mile run. In the Gulf, the F tank broke loose spilling gasoline everywhere and they were knee deep in gas and water for at least 50 miles in heavy seas

Must have been scary.

The tank baffles are an issue, so a new tank for $2000 is the way to go. I would fiberglass it over. But, get professional advice. Get help from Marlin. They don't want to be sued. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=boat+fuel+tank+baffles&qpvt=boat+fuel+tank+baffles&FORM=IGRE

Fuel tank issues are part of boating.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I never had a problem with the fuel tanks in my Gradys, however I did have to replace an 8 year old tank in a BW once. The tank had small pin hole leaks from corrosion. In that case neither BW nor my insurance was of any help. I ended up replacing the tank then selling the boat. Sucks when it happens early, 6 years is young in the life of a Grady.

Reactions: Performance42

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
I never had a problem with the fuel tanks in my Gradys, however I did have to replace an 8 year old tank in a BW once. The tank had small pin hole leaks from corrosion. In that case neither BW nor my insurance was of any help. I ended up replacing the tank then selling the boat. Sucks when it happens early, 6 years is young in the life of a Grady.

ANDY: I would not bank on insurance money covering this. Insurance companies are worthless IMO. I insured my house once after it was built, and when two big hurricanes went past taking off some shingles before I had learned to Acrylic latex them down with white Acrylic latex paint, the insurance deductible was less then the money it costs to have the roof repaired and the supplies and materials. They said "get lost".

Never will I buy insurance for $10,000. Bunch of crooks.

BTW.. If the pin holes are on top of the tank, lucky you. A fiberglass guy and fix that easy. Good for years until another gasoline smell shows up.

Last edited:

Performance42

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
I have two ULTA switches, if I didn't say that already. They never, ever fail.

They never ever stick open - either. Think about that!

Just watch for the hot wire when it breaks one day.

That's why there are 2 500 gph Rule bilge pumps down there in my bilge.

AD.. It's never absolutely dry in a bilge... you know that.
Want a dead battery?
Use a Rule switch in your bilge.... then.. go forget about it!

Saw him live at Ohio State when I was 20.
He packed an old downtown theater one weekend.

Merry Christmas.. Joe is gone..

seasick

Reaction score
Use a tiny shop vac before you leave the boat. You dont want a water path connecting drain plug to tanks.

One note of caution about using a vac. If there are any and I mean any gas vapors, the shop vac will also suck them up and an explosion is possible. It is safer to use absorbent pads/rags.

Reactions: VeroWing

andybru

Reaction score
Update. Unfortunately it is corrosion. Not happy at all. Will get in touch with Grady and see what they have to say. The rear tank is not looking great either so both will be replaced.

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• 135C6D45-CEE6-4F77-B7FB-30697BDDCD65.jpeg
    135C6D45-CEE6-4F77-B7FB-30697BDDCD65.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 27

Ozz043

Reaction score
Geez that’s unfortunate, not cheap either I’d imagine

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Andy, can you take a bigger picture of the tank with the hole pictured? Curious as to it's location in relation to the area pictured. I'm picking my new auxiliary tank up from FMT in 3 weeks, mine was a flange failure, but my tank was also 14 years old.

Definitely reach out to Grady customer service and see what they say. I've spoken with FMT about tank failures since you see it often on older tanks and they responded with " With proper care like fresh water flushing, the tanks should last the life of the boat". I have to say, other than the flange, my 14 year old tank was in surprisingly good shape.

20181104_163953.jpg20181105_165525.jpg