2012 Marlin Fuel tank leak (front)

andybru

Reaction score
I will put up some more pics later today. The condition of the top is pretty good. It looks like the install was not the greatest. I washer was touching the bottom of the tank!

Last edited:

andybru

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bottom of the tank. The little rusted circle is where a washer was left ( there is no way it could get there after the tanks were installed). The corrosion has also taken place under the rubber strips the tank was installed on

Attachments

• 9144B68D-8209-40C3-836E-0B766B1A90C3.jpeg
    9144B68D-8209-40C3-836E-0B766B1A90C3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is crazy. Never would have believed it would go that fast.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
The washer left in there was unfortunate, but rubber has turned out to be a bad choice for this type of application.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, that's definitely a hole that shouldn't be there! I hope Grady steps in with some help for you.

For the rubber strips... are we sure that it was "real" rubber being used? Maybe I just couldn't see it as well in the picture, but... I can see where there were some type of pads used from the geometric ghost-shape they left. And the long lines look to be where adhesive sealant was used. But looking closely, there doesn't seem to be any corrosion along those lines? I can see clean aluminum and I can see staining next to the leftover adhesive, but is there corrosion there? Again, maybe it's just what I'm "not" seeing in the picture, though.

seasick

Reaction score
Rubber should not be used to bed tanks. It can contain carbon and that will cause galvanic corrosion where it contacts the tank. Instead, plastic strips reinforced with fiber should be used. The plastic should be attached to the tank with 5200 and a lot of it so that the entire strip is covered. The strips should be left to cure and harden and then the tank can be installed. Care should be taken to eliminate all areas where water might pool and not drain