2015 models?

billyttpd

Reaction score
Anyone care to speculate if any new models will be released in '15?? I know the Grady website is showing them now but with boat show season getting here I would be suprised if there were not any new releases in store. My guess wold be a 20 or 23 foot version of the Coastal Explorer. Maybe the 26 Express will make a comeback. Just a thought since my boat is now high and dry till the spring.

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd like to see something to replicate the 265.

In my opinion the 290 is too close to the 300, and there isn't a big enough spread between the 232 & 258.
The 232 sells better then the 258, and the 300 sells better then the 290.

So kill the 258 and the 290 - and introduce an honest 27-28 foot battlewagon...

Just my opinion - not designed to offend. 8)

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree on the 290. My understanding from GW sales folks is that the 307 outsells ALL of the other 30x added together. There is clearly a trend toward DC models. The dealers mostly stock these so it is hard to determine which is cause and which is effect. It is pretty hard these days to find a walkaround in stock at a dealer.

The 300 Marlin is my fav and has a loyal following but doesn't sell near as well as the 307. It hasn't been updated since 2004 so my feeling is GW needs to feature it one year with some nice updates or it will wither on the vine. Historically updated models see a sales boost.

My 300 is now 11 years old so perhaps an update will entice me to ge a new model. I like the 330 and would love to see the 2015 version but my marina cannot handle it so a 300 the model for me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with the refresh of the Marlin. Personally, I take out the 290, just too close to the 300. If they drop the 300 and keep the 290, that would be a misake IMHO.
Personally, I'd like to see a 33 or 36 walk. The DCs are so hot, I'm probably in the minority so I don't see it happening.

Every boat is a compromise. That being said, the bigger walks give you a lot of flexibility. You get a decent size cockpit, a pretty uncluttered helm, decent stowage, easy in/out head. and the vbirth/table. To me safe and secure access to the bow is important for fishing and anchoring. I don't want to be crawling on express decks with rails that seem puny, nor going through hatches and certainly not on bubble decks that you can easily roll off and into the water. They seem nice at the shows. Get in sloppy conditions and you are in an unsafe position. The DCs all done up with hardtops and enclosures are close to walks, but you really can't stay on them. The smaller expresses just don't do it for me. The cockpits are small and to be honest, the helms are overdone with features that they become too cramped. Again, look great at the shows or at the dock but pretty impractical on the ocean. We've camped on the Marlin for a couple of days (2 is about it) with 6 people, albeit my son and I stayed out in the cockpit with a makeshift enclosure over us = tough to do that in the DCs. The 36 express is nice, a bigger would be even better. All that being said, if I were looking/could swing a 36 or bigger it would likely be with inboards and not a GW with outboards.

Each to his own. I will say the Marlin is a pretty decent compromises. It does it all well and looking at the GW line, there is nothing in the 30-33 size that I would want except the Marlin.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I just want a full wrap around hard cabin for the PNW on a Marlin.

Easy.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with Fishtales & Megabytes
I keep talking to dealers and they say the Marlin is not going to be dropped. For all the reasons he mentioned above, the Marlin is also my choice.

The dealer and a couple different owners I talked to say the 300's are the right match as opposed to the 350's, which are still having flywheel problems, I guess.

It doesn't matter anyhow, I can't afford one...

moklodge

Reaction score
Just back from the factory. No new models this year as they instead chose to freshen up ALL models with new hull accents, new cushions, new lighter "classic grady white" gelcoat, new options and a major redo of the 330 Express. The most intensive effort G/W has ever done and the first time they have ever updated the entire line at once.

Great job and the boats really pop with the changes.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am hooked on my Marlin. If I look at boats it will be another Marlin. Even the "Admiral" likes it.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
100% in agreement grip. 300 is THE perfect boat for me.

Moko, we have a new 2015 at our marina. It is a 257 and looks great. The new hull logo is gorgeous. May have to start looking into a new Marlin this Spring.
:hmm

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
moklodge said:
Just back from the factory. No new models this year as they instead chose to freshen up ALL models with new hull accents, new cushions, new lighter "classic grady white" gelcoat, new options and a major redo of the 330 Express. The most intensive effort G/W has ever done and the first time they have ever updated the entire line at once.

Great job and the boats really pop with the changes.

Cab you list any of the new options? What do the new custions look like? Any pix?

moklodge

Reaction score
Sorry Mega.i'm outta town and don't have my notes or access to pics.

There are alot of pics on the website that show the new cushions if you look close enough. The new bolsters and exterior cushions have more padding and are styled unlike any others used in the marine industry. I'm not sure how to describe them. They also took the color back out of the exterior cushions which is a huge improvement. Brown cushions look pretty bad and get hot in the sun. You don't realize how bad they looked until you look at a 2015 Freedom versus a 2013 or 2014. They also went to blue interior cushions on some models, like the 226.

Lots of detail changes across the whole 29 model line.