2015 Seafarer 226 - Thoughts???

Salty_Red

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and in the process of buying my first Grady. Grew up in the 80s and 90s with a number of different Grady models and have tremendous appreciation for these boats. The one I am looking at is a Seafarer 226 (motor on the transom, not 228 on the bracket). This one has the F300 (~ 350 hours), has been kept in a slip so a little corrosion on the aluminum, recent model Wesco trailer and hardtop. Sea Trial on Friday. From what I can tell the boat has been very well cared for and regularly serviced. I cannot find much on the web about this model and year boat and Yamaha appears to have taken down a number of the performance bulletins. I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone is aware of issues with this year model or has any reservations about this setup? Appreciate the thoughts.

Plan to use mostly as a family boat with an occasional run offshore to some of the reefs out of Charleston.

Link: https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/charleston-2015-grady-white-226-seafarer/7092001289.html

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Salty_Red,

As you said, appears very well cared for. Nice it has a hard top and newish trailer. My guess is you don't have any issues to worry about, but I highly suggest a certified surveyor goes over it before you purchase, and look at the engine too.

Good luck going forward, and cash is king. Welcome to the group~

Lee

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
good looking Grady take it on a sea trial. or pay a surveyor to do it for you. also you can get the motor checked by qualified yam tech. its a lot of cash.. wise to spend a little and get it looked over.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The late model Grady's and the 4.2 F225, F250, F300 are a good combo. The 4.2's seem to be a well built motor and the go to now for Yamaha. I've been to Charleston 60 a few times in my 228 for bottom fish. Also fished the near shore reef and the jetties out of Charleston harbor. With the F300, that 226 should run out well. A very capable boat for what you are wanting to do. If you don't have a mechanic in mind to look that motor and boat over, I highly recommend Hanckel Marine on Savannah Highway. They have always taken care of me and done me right. Having a repower done this fall and they will be doing it. I had another brand boat with a Yamaha on it so I'm established with Hanckel. Seel's is the Grady dealer there in Charleston, they can handle it also.

Good luck with the sea trial Friday. Let us know how it turns out.

Pic sitting off the jetties outside Charleston harbor.

20180124_113736.jpg

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow very nice and I think that is the last year they made the 226? That boat has been for sale for around 5 months now I believe. Saw it back in January so maybe get it for a little cheaper? Personally I prefer the 226 because of the rougher sea handling characteristics over the bracket. You won’t be disappointed with the sea trial Friday. Can you take a pic of the coast guard plate showing the seafarer 226 can handle a 300 hp for when the time comes for me to repower my 250 hp lol. In 2005 the 226 was 250hp max.

Reactions: Salty_Red

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wow very nice and I think that is the last year they made the 226? That boat has been for sale for around 5 months now I believe. Saw it back in January so maybe get it for a little cheaper? Personally I prefer the 226 because of the rougher sea handling characteristics over the bracket. You won’t be disappointed with the sea trial Friday. Can you take a pic of the coast guard plate showing the seafarer 226 can handle a 300 hp for when the time comes for me to repower my 250 hp lol. In 2005 the 226 was 250hp max.

Hey now those are fight'n words in regards to how the 228 Handles versus the 226. I have run my 228 to the Bahamas, Dry Tortugas, fished the Gulf Coast off of Cape San Blas and PMC Beach, routinely fish it out of Port Canaveral down to Stuart. We go to the Keys almost annually. I love how the 228 handles the sea. I am not saying it is better or worse than the 226 in large part because I have never been on one.

I know a guy here, some call him Doc Stressor, he has a 226. He loves it. I had a 192, loved it. I would suggest the 300 would be a great set up. There is a reason why Grady still makes the 228 and as it is one of the longest running hulls they have in production. I think the 208 is the king. I honestly think the 226/228 hull is one of the best hulls on the market in the 22 foot range. It's the SUV of the boat world. You can go offshore, you can take it on the lake and ski behind it and you can trailer it anywhere with ease. If the price is right , go for it. It's a great boat and if it handles better than my 228, then it's even an awesomer boat than mine.

Reactions: Summertop511

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol I knew that would stir something up lol. I work part time at a marina and been on both models. Low speed handling 226 wins and slow speed barely on plane doesn’t fall off plane as easily in rough water swells. Water doesn’t come around the motor and wash it out so to speak off plane. 228 wins in speed, fuel efficiency, better deck layout, transom strength, and resale. They are honostly both great but I think grady was selling more 228’s so maybe that’s why it’s still around with only the marlin and adventurer.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Summertop511 covered the difference between the 226 and 228 perfectly.

Salty_Red

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the feedback and confirming what I was hoping here that the 226 won't disappoint. Boat is being brokered by the group that has been servicing it for the past three years and likely will keep servicing it for me. I'm getting a few $$$ off the ask but certainly not stealing it. Great feedback on the survey which I've reached out to a couple groups about lining up. Even with warranty on the engine who knows what I may have missed.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
most surveyors wont thoroughly check out the motor, need to get a certified mechanic for that. They will look at the hull, electrical, hoses, etc and perform a sea trial .

good luck

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you are there tho tomorrow take and post a pic of the coast guard plate if you can. See if 300 hp is what it says is the max.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Sure is pretty! Good luck. 300 on the Seafarer is fantastic.....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When you are there tho tomorrow take and post a pic of the coast guard plate if you can. See if 300 hp is what it says is the max.

Pretty sure they upped the max HP on that hull from 250 to 300 about 5 years ago.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pretty sure they upped the max HP on that hull from 250 to 300 about 5 years ago.
Yeah on the 228’s but I haven’t been on the last year Made 2015 226 that might have been rated for 300

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You’ll love the 226. Handles very well in a heavy chop especially at slower speeds and docking is much easier with a transom mounted engine. I’ve never had any water issues with the open transom. That will be a 45 to 50 mph with a 300. Go for it except you should definitely have a mechanic do a complete check up on the motor.

The 228 is also a great boat.

The Grady will also hold value better than most boats on the market.

Good luck. With purchase

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My 2013 model 228 is rated 300 hp and I have seen a 2012 also rated 300. I think they changed the rating when they changed the bracket, it is bigger than the older models and the swim platform is aluminum all one piece with the bracket.
Unfortunately mine only has a 250. The 300 needs higher octane (95 RON same as your 91 ) gas here.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So how did the sea trial go? Any performance numbers you write down with the 300?

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2013 model 228 is rated 300 hp and I have seen a 2012 also rated 300. I think they changed the rating when they changed the bracket, it is bigger than the older models and the swim platform is aluminum all one piece with the bracket.
Unfortunately mine only has a 250. The 300 needs higher octane (95 RON same as your 91 ) gas here.
Hey wrxhoon, what kind of top end do you get with your f250? Just curious.