2018 275 Grady White Freedom

ma6233

Reaction score
Just purchased this boat with twin 200's. Having an issue with the boat not being level when going up on plane. Constantly have to level out the trim tabs even with two people on board. Once level its ok but always needs adjusting.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Reactions: tbuss

seasick

Reaction score
did you try playing with the motor angles and not the trim tabs? Raise one motor a few degrees and then play with the other motor, both up and down.
Check that the wakes of the engines at speed meet somewhere around 25 feet aft ( motor toe out adjustments
Uneven thrust can also cause a lean. In that case you need to check that the motor revs are in sync and that the props are the same model other than one being CCW.
Are skegs straight? Are there fins on the LU ventilation plats anodes" If so are they set at straight angle ( for normal and CCW motor packages.)
Have you checked to see if a trim tab is not fully retracting.
List under power only are generally thrust related as opposed to lists while at rest which can be weight distribution issues.
Is there something bigish on the hull bottom on the side that the hull lists to. A big transducer cab add drag and that can cause the boat to lean over. ( but can be compensated by adding thrust on that side)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Look at your engine trim gages and set them equally, then look at you engines. My starboard engine always needs at least one more bar on the gage to be close to level with the port.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As I'm sure you are aware, the trim gauges need to be calibrated so that when trimming out after the boat comes on-plane and you set both motors at say, 4 bars, that they are actually equally trimmed. On the larger motors the sender reostat itself has slotted holes so it can be rotated to adjust the gauge reading. On the smaller motors like the 150s I had on a previous boat the reostats were fixed and you rotated a striker to adjust the gauge reading. It sounds like from your description that your motors may not be trimmed like you think. When the gauges are matched but motors are not. Have you checked?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I figured there was an adjustment. It's just low on my priority list so I've calibrated my brain to make the adjustment instead!

Reactions: Halfhitch

ma6233

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I have tried trimming both motors all the way down and going onto plane. Drifts to either side. I didn’t know you could calibrate the trim tabs. Need to check under the boat and inspect the tabs also. Don’t get it. Also have 04 Grady 283. Thing is a beast. Never drifts or drops.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about calibrating the trim tab readout but the Yamaha engine tilt/trim readout. Just want to be clear.

ma6233

Reaction score
Ahhh got ya. Ok. I usually dont even go by the trim gauge for the motors. I do by eye. Both motors trimmed evenly all the way down and it still happens. I did calibrate the tabs so going to see if that made a difference. Not sure what else it could be.

seasick

Reaction score
Does adjusting thrust on one motor make a difference in the list?
I still think you may have uneven thrust for whatever reason.
It would also help if you confirm that the wakes of the engines cross somewhere between 25 and 50 feet or so aft of the transom

ma6233

Reaction score
I have had twin outboards for a long time and it definitely seems they they being pushed forward equally. I am going for a ride tomorrow and will check the wake as well.