2018 GW 216FS questions

TrojanBobcat

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hello - I am new to the board - and a new owner of 2018 216FS - looking for advice -
We will spend a significant part of our time inshore - and some time on good days - 1-3 miles offshore
Our bay is fairly shallow - so we are considering installing a 6" hydraulic jack plate - in addition, we are looking for anchor options - at times, each of us will be out fishing by ourselves -
we wanted an easier system to manage when alone - we have been informed a windlass system will not work due to limited space etc - we have asked about using a drum system as well - again -
have been told there is not sufficient room -
Any advice/recommendations will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The jack plate is only going to be used at low speeds, right? Couldn't you just trim the motor up at those low speeds for the same effect?

What is the issue with the anchor? Is it the weight of the anchor? You certainly don't need a heavy anchor - a decent fluke style anchor (10lbs-ish) and 6' to 10' of 1/4" chain will be more than sufficient for a 21' boat. Between a smaller boat and the lighter tackle, it will be easy enough to pull in by hand. If you want to go lighter still, take a look at Fortress anchors.

TrojanBobcat

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Thanks for the reply - yes - low speed usage - and yes - we had considered just trimming the motor - but decided long term, we might prefer the jack plate option
Agreed on the weight of the anchor - will not need a huge anchor - I believe the anchor locker is equipped with 15ft chain/150ft of rope - however, from what marine shop is telling me, there is not a sufficient drop (12") to allow a windlass to work properly
if we cannot come up with a more automated system, then absolutely will consider going lighter - the issue will be when off shore - will the lighter equipment be able to hold us on spots?
we are also considering a Rhodan trolling motor to help mitigate using the anchor - that is suppose to be able to hold us on spots without anchoring - do you have any experience/advice regarding the Rhodan trolling motor?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Honestly, I'm not seeing the benefit to the jack plate since it's really just going to do the same thing as trimming... but without spending any money. But no problems, that why we have our own opinions! :)

Yes, if you've only got 12", that's no where near enough for a windlass - not even a horizontal. The rope is going to pile up too quickly and jamb the windlass. That's pretty common for a smaller boat, though - nothing out of the ordinary there.

The anchor size will work just as well in 60' of water as it does in 6'. The only "issue" is that you will need much more rode to get a good hold in 60' to maintain a decent scope. But having more chain helps cut down on the amount of line you'll need - it gives a little margin of error. Easy way around this is to carry an extra 300' of rope that you attach to the end of the 150' for those times when you need it.

I'm not familiar with that brand trolling motor, but I do have "some" experience with the MinnKota brand and they work decent for "spot holding". But then you're adding a decent amount of weight in batteries, in order to have long run times.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The Jack plate isn't going to help much with the V hull. If you had a flats boat with a channel yes.

Sounds like you'll be staying fairly shallow. How deep will you be dropping? Where are you?
You have a center console so you have standup access at the bow.
Get a good pivoting anchor roller it'll really help.

I ran a 20 foot cuddy for 18 years anchoring in 70 to 125 ft by myself. Started using an 8# claw and I really liked it. 15 ft of chain.
That can take it out of you after a few resets. I had an anchor retrieval ball for when I couldn't do it anymore.

I don't have a windlass on my 265...heavier anchor & chain& rode and the crew is about to mutiny.

TrojanBobcat

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hey. We will fish in Choctawhatchee Bay and offshore between Destin Fl and Panama City FL. The bay is fairly shallow. A flats boat would have been ideal - however, the wife wanted something comfortable to cruise as well. And I wanted something to be able to get offshore on good days.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Looking for options/suggestions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
check out intruder boats. they are a bay boat that runs decent in the chop. runs in 10" of water with the jack plate.