2018 GW Freedom 235 Stern Cleats Failing

Eyeball007

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I have a Freedom 235 that I bought last July (2018). I store it indoors in a boatel, and take it out weekends where it is moored in a slip.
Today I noticed a tiny space between the stern cleat base and the fiberglass of both stern cleats. I pulled up on the cleats and both come away from the hull enough that I can see the two posts and the holes they fit in.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this problem before?

Attachments

• stern cleat2.jpg
    stern cleat2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Man that is not good. Not sure if I am sold on these style cleats to begin with.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Send the pic to gw via the web or see your dealer.

bFransen

Reaction score
There's got to be a nut under there that you or whoever sold you the boat can tighten. If not, something needs to be fixed before that does some damage to the hull or fails.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That should not happen. Obviously, whomever tightened installed that cleat at the factory did not do it fully. The sealant (slightly adhesive) was the only thing holding it tight to the hull. It finally gave way. Your dealer should fix for free - or add new sealant and tighten the nuts yourself.

seasick

Reaction score
I tend to think that the cleats were bedded with sealant, pressed into place and then somebody forgot to tighten the bolts. Call Grady service.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yep....take photos and call the dealer and Grady if need be. This should be an easy fix and warranty issue.